Plank over copper roof, and windows over stairs

ICU Crisfield

[hello] Howdy.
I am new to the Forum, and to window cleaning. A hearty hello to everyone! My daughter and I just started a window cleaning business in Crisfield, MD. Yesterday we went to look at our first residential job, a nice home, with four fixed pane, mullioned windows over a porch with a copper roof that we may not stand on (homeowner's orders). The roof has a railing, making it look like a second story porch. Owner says other workers use a plank which they span from porch railing to porch railing. Failed to measure, my bad, but it looks like a 16' span. The railing puts the plank at the middle of the windows. I'm not crazy about the idea. Is there another way to set up so that I can reach the windows without standing on the copper roof? How do I reach the windows from the inside? They are positioned over stairways that go up perpendicular to them on both sides of the foyer. I am going to have to buy an extension ladder for this job, so I am willing to invest in other ladders, scaffolding as well, if they will benefit me in window cleaning in general. Suggestions?
Thanks! Shelly

Tim Mcculla

Hey Shelly,

Without seeing it, very hard to say. With that said, I would try:
1) extension ladder with stand-offs to the copper roof. Stay on ladder, making sure that when I set the ladder it is not on any seems (standing seem roofs).
2) if I could not reach from a safe standing position on the ladder I would try with a 6' pole.
3) if I still could not reach I would 'winspray' clean the window using DI water.

I've been cleaning windows for over 20 years - I can count on one hand how many times I've used a pic (scaffold).

Here is a small world situation for you. I'm a window cleaner/ power washer from the Jersey Shore (LBI) going on vacation to Deal Island. I will be there starting Sunday (8/26) - I plan on day triping to Crisfield. If you want to meet up at the local pub/ coffee shop and talk shop give me a call on my mobile, 609 713 3989.

Good Luck,
Tim McCulla

ICU Crisfield

Small World

Hi Tim,
Nice to meet you! Thank you for your reply and your suggestion. I will try cleaning the windows with a pole from the ladder. What is "winspray?" (Please tell me its an inexpensive handheld device I can get from Lowe's Depot that won't rain water down on the leaky copper roof.) The inside may be the bigger challenge, then, with staircases preventing good ladder placement. Is it safe to put step ladder feet on another ladder's rungs?

Vacationing in Deal Island? You must be coming down for the Skipjack Races. Do you have family/friends there? I know of some people in Deal Island, from doing light work there as a carpenter's helper (drywall finishing, painting), but I doubt they know me. When do you figure you will be in Crisfield? Crab Derby?

Shelly

Tim Mcculla

Shelly,

Winspray is just a filter system that will take TDS (total desolved solids) out of the water making it "spot free water". Not an option if leaky roof and not available at the Depot/Lowes.

For inside ladder work I would suggest two tools if you are serious about window cleaning.
1) The 'Pivot' is available at most paint/ hardware stores. It is a wedge shaped device that allows you to "make up" height from on step to the other.
If you see one in a store you can look at diagrams on the tool for clarrification.
2) V-ladder/ sectional ladder. This is a specialized window cleaning ladder that allows the user to configure in many different ways to reach diffucult areas.

I've never been to Deal (eastern shore) and I know not a sole there. I was looking to originally go to Crisfield but with the high condo's I saw in the pictures I thought it to commercial. I'm not going for Skip Jacks or crabs - just relaxation with my wife and daughters. Also, I'm looking for a wholesale conection to by 'spot/ Laffeyette' - we use them for stripper bait. Do you know anyone that sells them?

I'm leaving for vacation and will not be back on line until I get back. If you need help give me a call on my mobile, 609 713 3989.

Peace, Tim

ICU Crisfield

Local Festivals

Well, you're coming at a good time! Deal Island's 48th Annual Skipjack race is next Sunday, starting at 1:00 with a parade from Deal Island School to the festival grounds in Deal Island Harbor. There will be a car show, music, kayak races, arts and crafts vendors, local foods, etc. The actual skipjack race is Monday morning. And Crisfield has its 60th National Hard Crab Derby starting Friday. Don't let the condos fool you. Crisfield is far from commercial. Hope you read this before you sign off. I'll try calling one day next week. Welcome to the area! Southern Connection or Linton's Seafood, both on 413 just before Crisfield, might have the bait you are looking for.

Our Sponsors