Three new questions for you roofing gurus

roxette123

I own a Pressure Washing business located in Davenport Florida and lately my clients have been asking if we can clean their roofs. What's the best product - I don't intend getting on the roof to do this so I'm expecting that the solution I use in addition to a good brushing will remove the dirt. For shingle roofs am I right in thinking that chlorine is the way to go?

Secondly I had a client ask me today to clean his roof but it's one that I haven't come across before. It's actually a vinyl sheet roof - bleach or chlorine? What are your thoughts.

Thirdly - how are you guys getting insured for roof cleaning - I'm getting the run around on this one - any suggestions on this one would be appreciated. It's been suggested to me that I should get the clients to sign an affidavit saying that if the roof leaks or is damaged in anyway that I am not responsible but this seems to be a load of crock to me - surely this isn't the way to run a business???

I'm on a roll so I'll add one more question - we do a lot of manufactured homes and mostly these are the clients asking to have their roofs cleaned - any idea of what I should charge - I was think in the vicinity of $60 but does this seem to little or too much?

PressurePros

Lets start backwards from the order of questions you asked. if you do ANY jobs for $60 you must be one VERY broke company. The last roof job I did was over $1100. The average I have seen on the internet starts at $250 (which is still wayyyy too low) for a one story small house. $60 won't even cover your chemical cost.

You say the word "we" so I am assuming you have employees. Though based on your $60 question I doubt you carry the workman's comp you are supposed to? The rate for touching a roof can be in a roofer's classification. Expect to pay .50 cents on a dollar.

You also have to get liability insurance, which again, based on your content, seems that you do not have it. Yes, most cleaners use bleach. The strength at which it is needed to clean roofs will kill everything in its path. Get yourself covered.

There are specialty rigs made to pump chemical onto roofs.

Henry Bockman

Our minimum roof cleaning price is $450 for a small, simple, walkable roof. We usually use pool bleach and a bit of power house as a surfactant. On rare occasions when we have a squeemish customer that hates bleach, we use sodium hydroxide based products instead.

We also do roofing work so I already have the insurance and yeh, it's not cheap!

Make sure you have some basic ideas about roof construction before attempting cleaning roofs so you know how to spot roof leaks. You sure don't want to find a roof leak when your using 5gpm or more to rinse one down!

FCPWLLC

Our minimum roof cleaning price is $450 for a small, simple, walkable roof. We usually use pool bleach and a bit of power house as a surfactant. On rare occasions when we have a squeemish customer that hates bleach, we use sodium hydroxide based products instead.

We also do roofing work so I already have the insurance and yeh, it's not cheap!

Make sure you have some basic ideas about roof construction before attempting cleaning roofs so you know how to spot roof leaks. You sure don't want to find a roof leak when your using 5gpm or more to rinse one down!

Great advice on the insurance part. We pay out the butt for Workers Comp being on a roof.

Our Sponsors