Vista Sidebar Quit Working?

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
I upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 and imediately my Windows Vista sidebar
quit working! Restore to the day before restore point would not correct.

Not the first time we have had Vista sidebar problem...........

Found a fix here for anyone else who may have the same problem.
(Solved) ~ unable to open windows media palyer and sidebar for vista stuck « How-To Geek Forums

ok i searched some of the other vista forums and i suggest u follow the following steps before u decide to try the system restore function.
1. Open command prompt by going to Start/all programs/accessories/ and right clicking on the icon - select 'run as administrator.
2. When the command window opens type:
regsvr32 scrrun.dll
and press the enter key
3. Now type
regsvr32 jscript.dll
and press the enter key
4. Now type
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
and press the enter key.
5. Now type
regsvr32 atl.dll
and press the enter key.
Now restart your machine, let me know if it works or not

CCPC

I have Vista home premium and haven't had any problems to speak of yet. I will say though I'd highly recommend dumping Internet Explorer and down loading Mozila Firefox as your default web browser. I just recently made the switch, as I kept having problems with IE. So far Firefox has been worlds better, and much, much faster.

crispy crittr

Our System Administrator put us on Firefox. I am a "computer ignorant" so I can't say why or if I even noticed any difference here at work.

But!..., at home, after getting dsl several months ago IE would take forever to load a page. I figured we were at the end of the line and we would just have to put up with it until AT&T did improvements/upgrades in the neighborhood.

My frustration got the best of me one weekend and I, the "computer ignorant" downloaded Firefox. It was so easy and now we have no problems. Download speeds like we should have always had - I guess.

Get Mozila Firefox and try it. I can't imagine you not liking it. This "computer ignorant" does.

Stay safe & hydrated,
Chuck

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
I was just now using Firefox, and was posting "We use both Internet Explorer 8 and Firefox.....
Mozile seems to be a little more stable"

When I tried to post via Firefox I got an error message: Forbidden ???????

So now I am posting using Internet Explorer!

Last edited:

Our Sponsors