Chemical Mixing

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
I was thinking of mixing a little bleach in the degreaser I use for flat work. Is this a potential problem (Safety), and if not will it effect the efficiency of the degreaser?

I am looking to add a little kick to it.
lickout.gif

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

Russ in Chicago

I don't know where bleach is on the pH scale, but most detergents are on the alkaline side. If bleach is on the other side of the scale, you risk neutralizing. I know there are "boosters" for carpet cleaning chemicals. See what JonDon has to say.

Randy

In a Haz-Mat class i went to for the fire dept. i was told that when chlorine and water are mixed it forms a acid. i have wondered the same thing, if you mix the two, do you nuetralize.i would say yes. i also know a guy who preaches the bleach/detergent mix.(he also used to mix acid with detergent so after seeing that i think hard about what he says.)

bird

TRY ADDING SODIUM HYDROXIDE BEADS TO YOUR DEGREASER IT GIVES IT GREAT PUNCH JUST MAKE SURE ITS LABLED AS SUCH IF YOU CARRY ANY BAGS ONLY ABOUT $25.00 PER BAG VARY IN WEIGHT 25LBS TO 50LBS .CAUSTIC SODA BEADS ARE APPROX THE SAME S****.GOOD LUCK BIRD

Richard

Originally posted by bird:
TRY ADDING SODIUM HYDROXIDE BEADS TO YOUR DEGREASER IT GIVES IT GREAT PUNCH JUST MAKE SURE ITS LABLED AS SUCH IF YOU CARRY ANY BAGS ONLY ABOUT $25.00 PER BAG VARY IN WEIGHT 25LBS TO 50LBS .CAUSTIC SODA BEADS ARE APPROX THE SAME S****.GOOD LUCK BIRD
You can add a thickening agent,to the caustic beads I use it for doing hoods, it's called gum-x, makes for excelent dwell time.

I agree with Craig, bleach if used for the right things is outstanding, I mix it with soap powder and TSP to make a good working house wash.
just me 2 cents
Richard

Jim Bilyeu

You can use bleach and TSP on painted surfaces without to much problem other than contaminating the soil. If you want to really find out why you should not use bleach on bare wood, get hold of the USDA, Forestery Dept. Maddison WI. This is one of the times that you can't see the damage your causing untill it's to late. Its like pressure washing wood at a high pressure. Everything may look good, but you've destroyed the internal structural cells. What you can't see, may come back and haunt you later.

tucker

Dan,
Have cleaned concrete many times. After you clean, spray a little bleach and it tends to whiten your work. Do not put so much on that it runs off of the concrete.
Tucker

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

Rob/Lightning Clean,

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited www.powerwashunlimited.com

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Craig/PowerWashUnlimited on March 07, 2000 ]</font>

L

LightningClean

Craig,
www.lightningclean.com

Rob

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by LightningClean on March 07, 2000 ]</font>

Our Sponsors