sodium hydroxide solution

gh1658

Using 99% sodium hydroxide beads how many ounces do I need to add to a gallon of water to remove old finish from my log home ?

archie_MN

Using 99% sodium hydroxide beads how many ounces do I need to add to a gallon of water to remove old finish from my log home ?

Welcome to the forum!

To your question:
1-Hydroxide is EXTREMELY dangerous in both pure form and diluted. Follow all MSDS safety recommendations.
2-There are several factors that would determine the dilution required, including type of sealer, layers, condition of the wood, age of the sealer, the list goes on. If you can provide some details about the sealer or some pictures I can be of more help.
3- Log siding is about the most difficult place to start cleaning wood. If you haven't done it before, be prepared for a very difficult day(s).

Finally, though I'm sure it's not what you want to hear, log home restoration is really a task best saved for a professional hand. Some members of our forum are located in Texas, perhaps nearby. I'm sure they'd love the opportunity to bid the cleaning for you. You might find it's in your budget.

Post some more details, maybe I can be more helpful.

Jake

Doug Black

Start with four ounces.

Be careful! Wear a full face shield, long sleeves and rubber gloves.

Strongly consider the above advice.

gh1658

This is the 4th time I have refinished my yellow pine log home. I am trying to remove TWP which I added extra tint to get a golden brown color. This finish is about 10 years old and I have applied sodium hypochlorite and power washed. This worked well on areas exposed to the sun and rain, but on protected areas considerable old finish remains. I then used 3 oz sodium hydroxide beads with 1 gal. water and then power washed a small area which worked better than the bleach. I think a stonger solution may work better. Would the suggested 4 oz sodium hydroxide beads to 1 gal. water be strong enough?

Doug Black

This is the 4th time I have refinished my yellow pine log home. I am trying to remove TWP which I added extra tint to get a golden brown color. This finish is about 10 years old and I have applied sodium hypochlorite and power washed. This worked well on areas exposed to the sun and rain, but on protected areas considerable old finish remains. I then used 3 oz sodium hydroxide beads with 1 gal. water and then power washed a small area which worked better than the bleach. I think a stonger solution may work better. Would the suggested 4 oz sodium hydroxide beads to 1 gal. water be strong enough?

I have honestly never heard of such a thing with TWP. What did you add to the TWP???????????????????????????????????????????????????????

archie_MN

Ok! Thanks for the details! We're in business now.

TWP is a higher quality version of Wolmans. Pretty decent stuff. It's available at any number of specialty paint stores with various chemically safe tints available. I cleaned 1 a while back that had been tinted dark green.[whatup]

Are you working with the 100 or the 500 series? Are you putting the hydroxide on straight or are you injecting it in the machine?
100 series-- 8oz straight application, 12 or more injecting it.
500 series-- It's tough to call it blind, 12oz straight, 18 or so downstreamed.

Dwell time is the key for TWP. Keep the hydroxide moist for at least 15-20 minutes before trying to rinse it off. If the stripper's fully penetrated, it will come off easily with 1000psi.

Be sure to brighten after you strip with SH, or it will darken your wood. 4oz/gal oxalic acid injected will do the trick. Other acids are available at your big box store that will work in different dilutions. Remember with acids, less is more.

I apologize if my first reply seemed rude. It sounds like you know what you're doing.
Good luck!

Torque454

wow. I used a pound per gallon of sodium hydroxide per gallon of water and thought it could use to be stronger. And that was just for cleaning my own deck, no stain on it just greyed wood.

How much oxalic acid to use per gallon? When using crystals/flakes/beads whatever you want to call it. The small package i bought at the hardware store said 1 # for 4 gallons of water. I used 1# in 1 gallon. It worked amazing...

archie_MN

For acids, less is more. I use about 4oz per gallon and I don't rinse it off the wood. Too much acid will cause extra fuzzing.

Torque454

So apply the caustic soda, 4oz per gallon (by weight I assume?), wash at low pressure, and then apply oxalic acid (probably at what my package said - 1# per 4 gallons) which i guess is 4oz per gallon also. Then rinse. Correct?

Or are you saying to apply the caustic soda, dont wash, but rather let dwell, then apply the oxalic acid on top of the caustic soda, and THEN wash?

archie_MN

I measure by volume, not by weight. You first assumption is right, clean and rinse thoroughly between the chemicals.

Our Sponsors