Any idea of a decent quote?

jaysonrover

Just thought I'd see if the local grocery store had anyone doing their windows as they looked to be not in the best shape. I spoke to the store owner and he said to give him a quote on doing the windows inside and out when he gets back in 10 days from holidays. It is a fairly large grocery store chain in Vancouver,B.C. I am new to window washing so it will obviously take me a while to get upto snuff to work fast.
Here are the window sizes... 5 windows at 5'6" x 8'6"
10 " at 6" x 3'6"
11 " at 4' x 4'
22 " at 2' x 1"6"
4 " at 1"6" x 7'
4 " at 1'6" x 3'
4 " at 3"6" x 2'6"
8 " at 3' x 3'

This is inside and outside and there will be some products to work around. I can reach all the windows by extended pole and will be practising like mad if he does give me the contract at a reasonable price. So any idea? I appreciate your time and advice....

Jason

archie_MN

I don't do em either, but at my best guess:

I count 136 panes at an average of 1 min per window (including carrying your poles between and limited scraping).

3 hours of your time (worst case scenario), a trip charge and your materials...it's up to your what your time is worth.

I'd throw in a can of Bar Keepers Friend in case there are spots that won't rub off.

Best of luck!

jaysonrover

thanks anyways

I am actually startinga power washing business in the late winter but unexpectingly was asked to do a few grocery store quotes. I will quote what I think but I do know that commercial window cleaning is very competitive and usually lower paying. But I figure I will put a quote in and see what happens.
A side note.. my local dealer for power washers I was in the other day and their mechanic swears but direct drives over belt drives. I am planning on starting with a 4gpm 3500 psi honda gx 390 and he said to stay with the direct drive. Cheaper, by only $200 but he feels they are much easier to repair, don't vibrate as much as he feels belt drives rattle themselves loose and the pumps are far more money to replace than direct drives.
I am heading on monday to the main dealer of power washers"underpressure systems in Burnaby and will see what he says. I have read hours and hours of these forums and everyone swears by belt drives once you get into this industry.
He seemed quite jaded towards belt drives...in my opinion $200 more for a belt drive and for how long I will get out the machine plus it pulls water better is reason enough.
my retired neighbour used to be the repair guy for hotsy and he says belt drive is the only way to go. Any reason you think this guys points are vaild on direct better than belts when there is only $200 difference? thanks for the above help anyways. Just getting my logo made up this week and will post the pic' when ready. The name is Gumboot Power Washing. thanks

Doug Rucker

PWN ADMIN TEAM -
Staff member
Stay With Belt Drive. The things he is describing I ahve never had a problem with, Great thing your doing in your reasearch. Also great having you here on PWN.

When you get a chance please fill in your signature line. You can do this by going to the top of the page and Click on Settings, on the left side of the page, under My Settings, click on Edit Signature, and fill in your name, company name, phone number, and web site address if you have one, and then click Save Signature.

It's a little forum rule we have to help us identify each other.

jaysonrover

mind if I ask how you guys in a step by step get a house cleaned including roof in a few hours. Most power washers here say it usually takes a good 6 hours plus to do a home. I am buying delevan fat boy from pressure tek in a few months to do roofs as that is the right way to go. But the siding and such how do you guys actually do it once you start on a home? What mixture works best? I have read simple cherry (can't get it up here) although I may just ship it across the line and pick it up. With 12% bleach and then water is a industry "standard" mix? You agree? I'll be starting off with a Whisper Classic so that will help driveways,etc move along. Any advice or input appreciated.

Jason

p.s. looking forward to the point where I can be the one "dispencing" the advice rather than always asking for it,lol

Doug Rucker

PWN ADMIN TEAM -
Staff member
Jason to much to type there for me. Give me a call some time and I will be glad to walk you through it. Afternoon and evenings are best for me any day.

Doug Rucker

PWN ADMIN TEAM -
Staff member
Thanks Jake for the Plug, and whether or not he comes to the school I'll still be gald to help him out. And your right about the advice thing, as it was me calling you for advice last week.. Thanks for your time and advice.

Our Sponsors