Log Homes

John

Dan, any suggestions on "how-to" re:Log Homes.... Have been doing Decks using Wolman F&P for 3 yrs. Need to do 6-7 yr old ASPEN log home....
1 Go top to bottom, or bottom to top ?
2 Warm water(100 degree) to remove old "Unknown" clear finish ?
3 Suggestions for applying sealer (have been using Commercial grade airless on decks...)
anything better out there ? Any other GOOD sealers you could recomend ? thank-you

Chris@sunbrite

Hi John,
Here are a few pointers in doing log homes.
First The type of sealer you have been using contains linseed oil, Linseed oil comes from Flax, (It's like a wheat) because it's a natural product it contains sugars & starches, Mildew love to eat sugar & starches, Thats one of the reasons these products turn dark and fail. They are easily stripped off, With a sodium hydroxide based stripper, always apply from bottom to top, this way the cleaner does not run down and burn in. Then wash from top to bottom, wash with light pressure, after washing especially with a stripper you will notice the wood is dark, then you spray on a neutralizer such as Oxalic acid, you will see the wood return to it's natural state almost immediately. The water temp question is up to you, we wash all our log homes with cold water, Let the stripper do the work. The sprayer to use would not be an airless I would suggest the Deck Boss or the deck hand or even a pump up sprayer, And the only sealer I would put on your log home would be Ready Seal, It penetrates immediately, looks beautiful, no runs, no lap marks it's foolproof, it can even rain immediately, does not contain linseed oil, It contains peraffinic oil,It will last for years and whats more important, you will be a hero, and get many more log homes, believe me there fun and easy, If need to chat further please give us a call @ sun brite.
Good Luck Chris Detter
See Y'all in Las Vegas/PWNA wood school

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hi John,

Sorry it took so long with the reply. We have not done many log homes. But they way to apply chemicals to vertical surface should be the same.

You should apply from the bottom up, so you won't get streaks. And if you really want to be save, rinse the same way. We rinse top down.

I don't think warm water is needed. But some say it helps. If your trying to remove old sealers or stains. You need to use a stripper.

Follow up with an acidic neutralizer. We your an airless to apply sealers. Bottom line on sealers. Oil is best. Most are equal, some are better and easier to work with.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708 715-4205

TCross

While it is true that a sodium hydroxide stripper will remove most failing finishes from log homes and neutralization will help brighten the logs and prepare the logs for preservation. The restoration and preservation of log homes is a lot more detailed. There are finishes that could have been applied to the home that sodium hydroxide would not loosen. My first suggestion to you would be to make every effort to find out what product is currently on the home. A huge factor that was not touched upon in any of the other replies is the construction of the home.Depending on the type of home and the logs used will play a huge roll in how you can attack this type of project. Are the logs whole logs, half logs, log siding? Are the logs chinked or caulked? What type of wood are the logs? These are all quetions that need to be answered before I can tell you the proper way to go about this restoration. Most log home are either pine, aspen or cedar and all will require different restoration. Pine and aspen are very soft woods that often will need to be sanded or buffed after stripping. In other words feel free to contact me and I would be happy to assist you further. You can call me at 1-800-238-1711. or visit www.restorewood.com A few other places that you should look for info are loghome.net and loghome.com Log home restortion is NOT foolproof and requires a lot more detail and attention then deck restoration. I look forward to hearing fom you.
Sincerely, Tim Cross

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Thanks Tim and Chris,

Great posts, These guys are two of the best in the business regarding wood. Thanks for taking the time to help out John.
smile.gif
as well as future readers of your post.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708 715-4205

tucker

John,

Think about this one long and hard. Like you I have used Wolman F&P for a good while and have always had good results. But decks are a totally different ballgame. I did a log home last summer and have decided I would starve to death before I do another one. To begin forget everything in the Wolman Manual regarding pricing a deck. A log home if it is rounded on the outside necessitates your cleaning each log from about three different angles. Another problem with this particular home was the owner. He built it from a kit fifteen years or so ago. The carpenter and I were both in the same boat nothing we did was right. The last person to clean the house cleaned with too much pressure and there were streaks coming down the walls at the knots. This meant he automatically assumed anybody that was a pressure washer was a complete idiot and was there to cheat him out of his money. The first day when I got to the job, the first words out of the carpenters mouth were "if you want my advice your best bet is to get back in your truck and get the hell out of here!" You know how that little voice tells you not to do something and you do it anyway. All in all, I wished I had stuck to decks and houses but it also gave me new insight into personalities. It has made me become a lot less trusting of people and I will adjust my trust in people after this experience.

Never again,
Tucker

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Log homes are great stuff, I have seen many successful companies over the past 10 years on these bbs. Very profitable

Our Sponsors