Cedar Decks

CSL Enterprises

I just got my first cedar deck to restore, (which is four years old), and I just wanted to know if there was anything specific I should do differently for cedar wood as opposed to the standard pressure treated wood. I was planning on using the same chemicals and sealers that I have been using. Anything I should be aware of before I do this job? Thanks in advance,

Chris Long

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Apply plenty of chemical and let it work for you. Lowest pressure as possible. Cedar is a soft wood be careful with it. Take your time and learn from your experience. Always present yourself and company as a professional. Charge a fair price for your work and back it up with the highest of quality.

<center>GOOD LUCK</center>

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

Rob53

Chris ,
I cleaned my first cedar deck last year . I used a cleaner that wolman puts out for cleaning cedar. It cleaned up real nice . I agree with Dan, use a lower pressure than normal and keep your wand moving . The pickets will splinter easily. I sealed it with wolmans too. Hope this helps
Rob

Jim Bilyeu

Hi Chris, In restoring cedar, you should become familier with the wood. Is this clear cedar or tight knot cedar? Is the wood all vertigal grain or does it have flat grain?
Because of these differances in the wood, we only use a deep penatrating natural oil base finish at about 58% solid content. The reason we use this is because the flat grain will not take the product as well as the vertigal grain and we want total penatration. A surface coating will not hold onto a flat grain, causing premature failing. Also, cedar and redwood have a natural oil already in them. Oil repells water, therefore, water base finishes will not last as long. Hope this helps a little.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare

Our Sponsors