REPAIRS, this is a great add on if you want one!

L

LightningClean

I have found that my business has tripled in the last 2 years since I have added deck repair. We even get calls from other washers in the are that totally messed up someone elses deck and need the repairs quick. This year I am hiring my second full time carpenter. Last year we brought in an additional $18,000 in profit due to this add on of repair.

PS. Make sure you have workmans comp on all your workers before you do this!

Rob

Larry Staton

You're right Rob. We do alot of repairs and also build a few decks a year. We try to save the deck building for colder months, which is only about 2 months out of the year down here in GA. This past January we built a deck using 3/4" copper waterpipe for the handrail spindles. Supposedly, after the copper weathers, you can spray vinegar on them and they will turn a green mossy color. It's what the lady wanted, and it does meet code. Very unique looking.
Larry

CleanImage

Hey guys - built a patio cover a couple of years back that had 30" diameter concrete columns(BIG cover)over 10' tall. We sprayed them with raw milk to get them to turn green and mold! Just thought it funny that some make money taking it off and some by puting it on........Have a great one!!!!!
Duane - CleanImage

JR Wood

My very first customer asked if I did repairs and having some carpentry skills I said yes.I have a little recommendation box on my estimate sheet and if I see something that needs fixing I estimate the cost with an explanation.almost always the customer will go for it after all they are having their deck restored why not go all the way.I have repairs listed in my ad in the phone book and this has gotten me jobs...also if anyone knows where to get gate anti-sag kits wholesale.these are handy little add ons.Home depot charges $12 for them and I charge $25 installed.It takes 5 minutes to put them on.If I could find them cheaper or make my own I would.Almost anyone who has a gate on their deck says yes when I ask.Next winter I plan on taking a carpentry/wood working course to learn how to build planter boxes and benches.I have had a lot of customers ask about this also.

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by JR Wood on March 14, 2000 ]</font>

Russ in Chicago

I just added repairs and building last year. I use subcontractors. When your customer trusts you, and knows you're there to help them, they will allow you to "general contractor" the repairs or rebuild if the deck is beyond repair. They know it will cost them a little more, but are willing to pay for the assurance that they won't get taken.

M

Mike@Everclear

When you guys repair a deck, then seal it.....do you have any special techniques or suggestions to reduce the effect of the new boards standing out like sore thumbs?

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Our Sponsors