www.sunbritedecks.com & Ready Seal

Chris@sunbrite

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to say how excited I am that Dan has designed this web site,chat room and bulletin board, especially for us wood guy, & Gals, I'll be happy to answer any questions Y'all may have on wood, sealers,cleaners, Sealers etc.
looking forward to talking to y'all
Thanks Dan Great Job! Chris Detter/Sunbrite.. cdett@mindspring.com

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

Shane,

Chris uses the Liquid Spic and Span.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Roy Moren

Chris what is the ratio that you use to mix your spic n span, bleach,n water cleaner together?? I want to see how it works compared to what I'm now using.

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
He is in Vegas, I will a shot at it. Check with him when he gets back.

15 gallons of 12.5 to 15 % bleach 2 64 oz bottles of spic and span the rest is water.

It might be 1 bottle of soap not sure.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708 715-4205

Roy Moren

Thanks Dan, Your saying 15 gals of bleach to make how much cleaner? Is that for making a 55 gal drum of cleaner? Thanks Roy

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hi Roy,

Yep sorry aboyt that, slipped right by me.
This mixture is based on mixing in a 55 gallon drum.
smile.gif

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708 715-4205

Roy Moren

Originally posted by Roy Moren:
Thanks Dan, Your saying 15 gals of bleach to make how much cleaner? Is that for making a 55 gal drum of cleaner? Thanks Roy

OK got it , 55 gal,,,Thanks Dan

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

Yep,

Dan its 2 64 oz bottles of spic and span, liquid. Yall be sure and mix this in a well ventilated area. Got a heck of a fume. I know we can't stop the chlorine smell, but was wondering if somehow we could disquise it with some kind of additive that smells real, well PRETTY!!!!! Just a thought.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Peirce Fitchett

Originally posted by Craig/PowerWashUnlimited:
Yep,

Dan its 2 64 oz bottles of spic and span, liquid. Yall be sure and mix this in a well ventilated area. Got a heck of a fume. I know we can't stop the chlorine smell, but was wondering if somehow we could disquise it with some kind of additive that smells real, well PRETTY!!!!! Just a thought.

Craig

I know most of you guys probably know this but for new people reading this I wanted to say the following regarding 12% bleach (Sodium Hyperchlorite. 12% Sodium Hyperchlorite is not a stable solution. It does not have a long shelf life. The bleach that you buy off the shelf at the store is a weaker version but it is much more stable and
will last a long time until you open it and
expose it to air.

When using bleach to clean wood it is important to not leave it on the wood very long and rinse it thoroughly. Also it is
important to follow with a brightner.

Graig, you may want to go to the local grocery store and see if they have some of the lemon scented chlorox. I have seen it on
the shelves.

Peirce<FONT size="2">Text</FONT s>

Tom Mobley

Hey Everyone,
I have been a contractor for 15 years and have been in the deck business for 7 years so when I saw the message about this new formula of Bleach and Spic and Span I was real excited. I started to think aboiut the money I would save. But, before I changed my methods I called the manufacturers I use to finish my decks and asked them if they would warrant their coating if I used this cleaning solution. They all said NO. They all said 99% of the complaints they get are results of poor cleaning. They said making your own cleaner is not wise. I know everyone will say they said this because they sell their own cleaner, but after talking about the testing they do before they sell a product, I sort of agree. The Manufacturers were Flood, Wolman and Super Deck. Flood and Super Deck have cleaners that have bleach in their ingredients. I was impressed with these manufactorers, they would not talk about their competitors in a bad way. Very professional. Just thought you would like to know.

Chris@sunbrite

Tom,
A few years ago I was preparing to speak at a PWNA wood restoration seminar, I called the US Dept of Agriculture, Forest products division and told them that I would like to put an end the the age old argument regarding washing wood. The first thing I was told was that they spend all their time doing nothing but testing wood and chemical reactions, and that they didn't like guys like you and I, (pressurewashers) They said that nobody should powerwash wood, I told him that I promoted washing with low pressure. He said that the best way to wash wood was bleach water & spic n span, he said he suggest two people on the deck one apply bleach solution 3-4 % the other to immediately scrub with a push broom let sit no more thet 5 minutes then rinse with a garden hose, then neutralize. I started using this method, what a wonderful difference it made , decks were cleaner, brighter, accepted sealer better, not to mention the fast in & out my crews were.
the cost per deck was incredible, my profit margin increased. We have been using this method for years, and have never damaged the wood. There are sealer manufactures out there who do recommend washing a sealed or unsealed deck with bleach you may have only called those that don't. Remember that another reason some companies don't condon this practice is that there is no control of the strengh that somone might use and risk hurting the wood or the sealer. Also washing unsealed gray wood and washing a sealed deck are two different things. Also don't forget how important a maintainance program is. If you don't have one... I'll be glad to help. Tom, You certainly can run your business and your washing techniques anyway you feel. But when you increase your productivity and bottom line this much it's worth a try. Thank, and sorry for being long winded, Good luck. Chris Detter/ Atlanta

L

LightningClean

Chris,
Although I will admit that bleach and detergent is a faster way to clean. I cannot agree it is better. I after a conversation with Craig Knight, took my own advise and tryed it before I said anymore about it. Though it cleaned it faster, I dont feel it cleaned it better. Bleach kills mildew and mold, I agree but spic and span only lifts dirt, bird dropping and such from the surface. These elements need to get pulled much deeper than from the surface.
I talked to Dan last week and Craig also and I understand the excitment over a cheeper way of doing it, heck it would be exciting. I guess I do things different than most, I warranty for 3 years and maintenace clean each and every deck that I do in the spring. The decks I do are quite large and could never handle the sunlight that they get exposed to that close to a lake. I do decks and docks starting at 2500 sq ft and up and there is no limit. We follow behind 5 construction crews in new construction and clean and treat new decks before the owner takes possesion of the house. I do and know how to do a lot of things that I dont talk about on here and I also sit back and read, listen, try and learn as all others should. My agrument with Craig the other day was uncalled for and to him I apolgize. But I still stand on years of experience of doing it the same way and I have trained most of my compitition in this area how to do decks and we work more as a team then as compitition. They even call me for advise from time to time. I'm always glad to help. I dont think the word cheep should be used in anything that I do and bleach and soap is just that, cheep. If you teach someone new to use bleach and they let it sit too long they can have serious problems. When you mention the use of bleach, I never really heard mention of the fact of neutralization and the use of brightening agents. See to me if you have to use all those things to get the job done it becomes counter productive. Plus what about those guys that dont get the surface neutral and seal anyway, what then? Will the sealer last? I honestly dont think so. Have you ever done lake side decks? With that large of an area you have to get the surface clean dry and sealed due to the overexposure of the sun. Sun beading off the water is 10-20 degrees hotter and the effects on an untreated deck is devistating, but nothing more devistating that when it was cleaned with bleach. I do agree that a small deck and less exposure to the sun say under 750 sf that may be a perfect solution but I wouldnt use it on anything over that amount. Well I could go on and on about my feelings on bleach especially in that strength but I will leave it right here and call it a night. I wish you all the best and hope I have not insuted anyone, but when you feel strongly sometimes trying to make your side understood is all you can do. Thanks for reading and sorry so long winded.

Rob

L

LightningClean

Chris,
I forgot to ask the question, how do you get the planter stains out with bleach? Dont you find that the bleach sets them? Oxalic acid doesnt do it much, you basically need something that draws that filth out of the surface if you dont want it to come back.
Well I guess you could always put the planter back in that same spot. I guess I'm just use to working with people that would complain if the job looked perfect. Once again these are just questions because I'm trying to understand.

Rob

Chris@sunbrite

Hey Rob,

Thats agood question, some of those planter stains are a booger-bear, to start, I usually take a wet rag with a very mild (here's the dirty word again "bleach" and water solution and rub the spot and wait.
Then I neutralize it w/ my oxalic acid solution, let dry and if Im still not satisfied I use my "ace in the whole" secret
It's called (#80 brightener) This stuff is amazing. Ready Products makes it and I can get it in for anyone who wants it. Chris

M

Mike@Everclear

Rob,

I subscribe to the theory "put the planter back in the same spot".
laughing.gif

I use #80 Brightner from Ready Seal all the time.....great stuff, like Chris said.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Chris@sunbrite

Dear Mr. Perkins,

You can get Ready Seal in Texas from either Declco Cleaning Systems. or you can call Ready Products directly . There in Lewisville, Tx. They have a web site too. www.readyseal.com Thanks for asking
Good luck in the bussss.
Chris Detter/Sunbrite

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Hello fella , have not seen you in a while
I know most of you guys probably know this but for new people reading this I wanted to say the following regarding 12% bleach (Sodium Hyperchlorite. 12% Sodium Hyperchlorite is not a stable solution. It does not have a long shelf life. The bleach that you buy off the shelf at the store is a weaker version but it is much more stable and
will last a long time until you open it and
expose it to air.

When using bleach to clean wood it is important to not leave it on the wood very long and rinse it thoroughly. Also it is
important to follow with a brightner.

Graig, you may want to go to the local grocery store and see if they have some of the lemon scented chlorox. I have seen it on
the shelves.

Peirce<FONT size="2">Text</FONT s>

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Everyone,
I have been a contractor for 15 years and have been in the deck business for 7 years so when I saw the message about this new formula of Bleach and Spic and Span I was real excited. I started to think aboiut the money I would save. But, before I changed my methods I called the manufacturers I use to finish my decks and asked them if they would warrant their coating if I used this cleaning solution. They all said NO. They all said 99% of the complaints they get are results of poor cleaning. They said making your own cleaner is not wise. I know everyone will say they said this because they sell their own cleaner, but after talking about the testing they do before they sell a product, I sort of agree. The Manufacturers were Flood, Wolman and Super Deck. Flood and Super Deck have cleaners that have bleach in their ingredients. I was impressed with these manufactorers, they would not talk about their competitors in a bad way. Very professional. Just thought you would like to know.

Interesting thread good read

Our Sponsors