to strip or not to strip?

Richard

Hey All,
need some help here
customer called me today, she has a bit of a problem. She said her fence (Cypress) was cleaned and sealed with behr speacial sealer waterproofer, a driftwood color, 3days ago.
Anyway she REALLY dislikes the color, and that this Sunday 26/Feb., she has a really fancy party and wants us to paint her fence with a paint that she has already bouhgt.
My question is shound I strip the fence or just go ahead and paint over it? She just wants us to paint over the finish.
Any help would be appreciated A.S.A.P. she wants us to start A.S.A.P.
Thakns
Richard

Paul

Chances are if that if it was just sealed, you will have a heck of a time getting the paint to properly adhere to the wood. It may look OK at first but in a short time, it will begin to peel right off. If you think about the job that a sealer is supposed to do which is stop the penetration of water and other liquids for that matter then you have to think that paint or other sealers will give the same effect, in other words it will just lay on the surface. The problem is that even if you explain that to the homeowner, she may want you to paint it anyway and then when it looks BAD after a short time, its going to end up being your fault regardless of how well you explained it to her. You should at least spray on a stripper that will deactivate the water repellancy so it can be painted properly. You won't have to get all the old color off but just get it so that the wood will accept the new finish product.

Good Luck,
Paul

Our Sponsors