olympic, superdeck,ready seal claims

Shane Clardy

Ok I use olympic Natural look or Maximum and super deck . I have only done a few decks the past couple of years. So I don't have the visual histories I can fall back on to see how they are holding up only can go by what I have read and can get from the manufacturer.
I have heard you guys talk about ready seal and speak high of it those that know.but its not a recognized name by the general public , like Olympic, wolmans, cabot etc.

My thought is this and help me through it. I have no relation with any products. I know about the linseed being substatuted in the ready seal etc. And even told a guy about it that is staining his deck himself about ready seal and ordered my first 5 gallons for him.

My question or problem is this, Olympic has posted on their semi-trans can 3 year protection from water damage Graying or fading.... the company is making that statement thats why I recommend it etc
the Ready Seal says in small print will last 1 to 2 years .
now you guys with experince how do you sell this , or say its better.

I love the guys that sell this and have learned alot from them and would love to give them my stain money . maybe the label just needs revised to 2 to 3 years . I believe people trust what they see in writing . this is my only problem

Peirce Fitchett

Shane,

The questions that you have come up fairly often. Lots of manufacturers say things on
their cans to attract customers attention.
I have looked at some of these warranties and
be sure that you read the fine print. In talking to some guys I have found that in alot of cases there is always a reason why a
product failed that is not the responsability
of the manufacturer. The best case scenario is that you will be given more sealer to do the job again. Time will only tell if these
warranties are true or not.

As far as Ready Seal goes the product is warrantied in the can. There are too many factors that come into play when working with
decks. You cannot control what a person does
to his or her deck. Lets say that they have two or three dogs that run freely on the deck. They will wear a path in the finish and it will show. Take planters for instance. If someone puts a potted plant on
the deck it will leave a mark just like a glass on a table. Last but not least if they
run a sprinkler that hits a fence or deck in
the same pattern daily it will leave a pattern. These are just a few of the many things that can cause a sealer to break down.
How do you warranty against these things?

The final factor in applying a sealer is following instructions properly. When using
Ready Seal there are certain guidelines that
must be followed. A homewoner buys some Ready Seal and cleans his deck and does not
neutralise his caustic cleaner or seals when
the wood is too wet. Would you look at him and say you screwed up. Nine times out of ten the homeowner is going to blame the product.

In conclusion the way to sell Ready Seal is through education. Ready Seal is more than
about look but also about preservation. Ready Seal will increase the lifespan of their wood. In order to achieve this a deck
should be cared for at least every two years.

I hope this helps and I wish you lots of luck
with whatever you use.

Peirce

<center>Text</center>

Shane Clardy

Thanks guys keep it coming .

the olympic maximum is good didn't show lap marks etc. the customer I had wanted clear so I chose olympic Maximum clear because it has a 2 year warranty from graying. but when I applied it it has alot of pigment to it kinda natural cedar look. the customer loved it any way . I guess the pigment blocks the UV rays . but It really looks like cedar . So don't use it as a drive way sealer ( ha ha )

M

Mike@Everclear

When selling Ready Seal to a customer, I talk it up, and tell all of its advantages.....and I use the fact that it is not sold in stores and is not publicly known to my ADVANTAGE. I tell them that it is made specifically for people in our industry...it makes them feel that you are using something superior, and better then they could do themselves, which is true.

I tell them that they can expect to get two years out of the job (unless using the color "Gold", which is less). I tell them that yes, there are sealers out there that claim to last longer, but even if they did last that long you would still need to clean the deck (from dirt, acid rain, walking on it, mold, etc). I can usually talk people into using it......and I have not had a single customer dislike it yet.

Hope this helped...

P.S. I have been back to peek at a couple of decks I did with Ready Seal a year and a half ago......they look pretty good.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Mike@Everclear on April 06, 2000 ]</font>

Our Sponsors