cedar sided mobil home/pricing and chemical/sealer

jeff jackson

I have a 16 x 80 mobil home to wash and seal
it has cedar siding.they want it to look like the natural cedar color.it was sealed last year with a sealer that was for all surfaces but mainly concrete type surfaces that had a 5 yr warranty but it quit repelling water after 6 mnths it has turned gray and has some mold and mildew the company that done the job didnt stand behind there job.they had used bleach and the customer was not happy with the outcome.we have done a few decks and have used a product called "house beutiful waterproofing sealer" which the customers were happy with but im not sure how long it repels the water.also every job I have bid .I was way off on estimating how much sealer it would take. any info would be appreciated
Thanks Jeff J & S pressure washing

Jim Bilyeu

Hi Jeff, I've been in this business sense 1965 and I have learned allot over those years. Most, but not all finishes use a paraffin wax to help their product repel water. This wax additive will only last 6 to 8 months. The better finishes on the market rely on their resins and co-polamers to repel water which will last much longer. As for underestimating the amount of sealer you use. It is very hard to say how much sealer a deck or a house is going to take. It depends on the type of wood, how dry is the wood and how old is the wood. It depends on things that you and I can't answer. We can estimate how much, but we can't be sure. When we make a bid, we itemize the amount of products to be used. When we go over the contract with the customer, we point out that the bid is based on X amount of finish to be applied to his job. If we don't use that amount then he will be credited, if we use more, he will be charged accordingly. We explain that we will apply as much finish as needed to give him the best job possable. I have never had anyone back out on a contract over this. As long as the customer knows what to expect, you won't have any problems. Don't take me wrong on this. You can't bid a job saying your going to use 5 gallons and then use 15 gallons. This is to much of a spread. If you say 5 and actually use 6, then your OK. Painters charge for extra paint, we can to. Just let your customers know ahead of time. Hope this has helped.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Jim Bilyeu on April 07, 2000 ]</font>

Our Sponsors