Options on cedar sided home...

Laurie Grathen

<br><b>Premium Member<b><br>
I think I know the answer to this, but just for grins I'm going to ask anyway.

We have a customer with a cedar sided home with a failing semi-transparent taupe colored stain. They have no idea what's currently on it. They're interested in doing something with it, but don't want to invest as much money as it will take to strip it.

What are their options? Is it possible to restain over an unknown stain if you can find a matching color after just power washing?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

M

Mike@Everclear

Laurie,

I'm not sure what they're best option is, but YOUR best option is not to get involved in this.......could be a nightmare. Good luck.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Jim Bilyeu

Laurie, You can put an oil base finish over a water base, but you can't put a water base over oil an oil base. If you try to put a simi Transparent over a failed finish, you could come up with a splochy looking finish. The cheapest way to go would be first, determind if it's an oil base or a water base finish on the home. Take a sample to your local paint store, they should be able to tell you what it is. Pressure wash the house and apply a solid base stain. Covers everything up, looks good and should last up to 5/6 years. Other than that, strip it down and re-apply. Hope this helps.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare

Our Sponsors