Bright spot Problems

Lorin Grable

Stripped a PT Pine deck with sodium hydroxide (about 8% concentration). While wood was still wet (after washing) and dark, there were bright spots that looked like something had been 'splashed' on a few spindles. The stripper didn;t affect it. The customer has a lot of plants and I was thinking that maybe they spashed some liquid fertilizer around. Or, maybe this is wax from a candle??

Anyhow, I'm not sure what impact this will have when I go to seal.

Anybody run across this before? Email me please.

M

Mike@Everclear

Lorin,

We might not be talking about the same thing, but I have seen something similar. It happened on a deck I cleaned and sealed last week. I feel it might be caused by applying the sod. Hydroxide onto the spindles from top to bottom instead of bottom to top, but I may be wrong. I think it is a product of the stripping process, not caused by something that was already there. I'll let you know if I ever figure it out for sure.

I took a small steel scrub brush and scraped some of the spindles before we sealed.......this made it not so obvious. Once it's sealed, it is not as visible, but you can still see the spots......oh well. I have not had a customer complain about it, its just something I notice. Perhaps I'm too much of a perfectionist.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Mike@Everclear on May 18, 2000 ]</font>

Our Sponsors