Deisel fuel and hydraulic oil as a sealer

Shane Clardy

Have a guy that wants me to clean his deck and then he will treat it with deisel and hydraulic oil.

may sound crued but isn't ready seal primarly based with parrafin oil or lamp oil .
Not that I would recommend this method but has anyone got any history with this how long does it last disadvantages advantages etc.any feed back I told the guy I would ask yall !

M

Mike@Everclear

I hope he walks far away from the deck for a cigarette break!

On a serious note, I have never heard of such a thing.....good luck.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

wonder if he is going to use offroad or highway diesel? Shane, just do the cleaning, get paid, then run like the dickens.

Craig

Jim Bilyeu

Hi Shane,

Your customer must be an old guy like me. Haven't heard of this mix in a long time. This mixture was used way back when to preserve wood. This was before they found that the sun/UVA was destroying the wood. (It has no UVA protection at all.) We use to use this to protect fence posts that we buried in the ground. Unfortunately, a lot of log homes were burnt to the ground because of this mixture. There are no good things to say about it. It will not cure, therefore it will be tracked all over the house. It will not last very long on a deck or on a house without re-doing it every 3 to 6 months. It is about as flammable as you can get and it will stay that way plus pollute the area and it will stink to high
heavens. It will prevent dry rot and prevent bug infestation, although it will look like hell after a very short period of time. Another mixture we use to use is roofing tar and paint thinner, beautiful finish.

Just a little of the past history on finishing. If you think this is bad, you ought to see what we use to use for chinking.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare

Expert

I agree that owner can do as he wants, but I'd even have him sign a disclaimer that you are getting paid for washing only, and do not recommend his method of sealing.
Thanks to Jim for his excellent history lesson as to this very risky method.

------------------
Dave Simpson
"90% of Customer Problems Can be Preempted by Excellent Communication and Organization."

Roy Moren

Shane,
Jim has given you the history on diesel oil treatments and it was used many years ago on barns, old docks etc. If you ever where around old shipping terminals 30 or so years ago you might of smelled the oil on the wood. You might explain to your customer that he is going to ruin his deck to save a few bucks on sealer. He will not only cause a mess and a safety problem, he will destroy his deck.

Clean n Run

Roy Moren
Decks and Docks
Odessa, Florida

Jim Bilyeu

Just a little story:

When I was just a young one, I was a Cub Scout in my home town of Springfield Michigan. My Cub pack was going to go to the Cub Scout Jamboree being held in Detroit Michigan. We were told that there was going to be contests in cub scout skills, compus reading, knot tying, fire starting etc, etc. The winners of these contests would be be given gold painted rocks which could later be used at an auction for equipment for the pack.

I decided that I was going to win some of these gold rocks. I was good at compus reading and I knew my knots but I was weak on my fire starting. I really pondered over this. I finaly came up with the anawer to my delema. I would cut some kinling, soak some of it in gasoline and some of it in diesel, wrap it up really good so that it wouldn't leak on my cloths and take that with me to the janboree.

At the jamboree, everything went great. I won some gold rocks for compus reading and some for knot tying and now it was time to use my secret weapon to win some more for the fire starting. I pulled my kinling out of my knak sack, stacked it real good and waited till we got the signal to light our fire. We had to get our fire going with using one match only. The signal was given, I struck my match,........... Flames shot over my head, burning sticks went everywhere, the judges tent caught on fire and everyone ran like hell. Needless to say, I did not win that event. My scout master did however tell me that I did uphold the scout motto " A scout will always be prepared"

Jim Bilyeu
exterior Woodcare

Our Sponsors