Surface cleaner on deacks????

R

Rick

How many of you have cleaned the flat surface of decks with a concrete surface cleaner (STEEL-EAGLE) Or any other type? Can it be done with-out dammage or streking?? If so ,How,What PSI,& SO-ON & SO-ON??? Any info will be greatly apriciated....Thanks in advance. Rick.....R&R.........
hapfac01.gif

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Rick on May 15, 2000 ]</font>

Russ in Chicago

Cleaning wood correctly takes too much finesse for a concrete cleaner. I just bid a deck that some clown used one on last year. I had to tell the customer, "Look on the bright side, you're the only person in your neighborhood with this unique circular pattern all over your deck." I hope she sues, however, I doubt they're still in business anyway.

M

Mike@Everclear

This has been widely debated......and I dont know who to believe! I have spoken to several people who wouldn't consider cleaning a deck without one.......and then the everyone else who says "don't do it!"

I have a surface cleaner, and when I bought it, I intended on trying it on decks....but I just can't bring myself to do it.......maybe I will one of these days. You'll never know until you try something for yourself. I believe it would have to be ideal conditions for it to work properly......using the proper chemical is probably crucial.

I'd like to hear from more people who actually do use them on decks. I dont think many people do though. I wonder what size tips they use on them?

I'll stick to the wand for now.....

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Brad

I use my Landa surface cleaner on large decks every time. They work great if operated correctly. My advice to anyone who uses one on a deck............

1) DON'T stop moving.......if you do, you definitely will leave a swirl pattern mark and/or score the wood.

2) ALWAYS run parallel to the wood grain, don't run diagonally.

3) RELEASE the trigger a few feet before you come to the end of the boards (prior to the spindles). You can come back and finish the PW with a wand.

Just my opinion. Good Luck.

Brad - Performance Pressure Washing......

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

raised my surface cleaner all the way up and lowered the pressure, and used it on my deck last year. My opinion, it was a big no no. Didn't really hurt anything, but it was pretty rough on the wood.

Craig

L

Layman's P/W

I use a spinner often on decks. It takes practice, always go with the grain it will hide the stripes a spinner leaves. Lift up
on the handle at the end of a pass to soften the edge,and like Brad noted never stop moving!

Clean County

I use surface cleaners all the time on the surface of the decks I PW. It takes practice and alot of common sense. It also saves your back from any undo strain that you may have from bending over to do the surface. Thats why those machines are called surface cleaners because they are made to clean many surfaces inluding decks. I never have a problem with my surface cleaners and they are the most enjoyable part of powerwashing in my opinion.

Expert

I also use the surface cleaner,but do agree that you MUST know what you are doing.
The advantages are that you can create a more uniform result on the deck cleaning and is more efficient. I agree that you can't be greedy... leave the perimeter for the wand.
The swirl marks can be from low pressure, or from the operator moving too fast. If the unit's seals are shot, that can reduce the pressure and cause quality problems.
Yes, follow the grain, and always lift the disk off the deck when starting up each time.
Time Tested Tips !!!

------------------
Dave Simpson
"90% of Customer Problems Can be Preempted by Excellent Communication and Organization."

R

Rick

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR RESPONCE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR BETTER WAYS!!!!! Rick......

A

AranPressureWashing

HUH??

why follow the grain??

The nozzles on a surface cleaner end up hitting EVERY direction - it rotates! It doesn't go just back & forth! You will cross the grain no matter what!

I'm not trying to question y'alls experience - just trying to understand why?

L

Layman's P/W

Aran

The lines you leave behind with a spinner come from the left side and the right when going up and back. On side to side movement
the front and back edge makes a line. It's hard to explain but easy to see as you work.

Expert

I agree with the above post. Under certain conditions it makes no difference, but then there are times when there can be a shadowing that blends MUCH better when we follow the grain. Just as with a wand, consistency, both in pattern and speed, is important.

------------------
Dave Simpson
"90% of Customer Problems Can be Preempted by Excellent Communication and Organization."

Our Sponsors