Tuff RK21, strong battery but wont key start

L

LightningClean

Maybe one of you can help me with a little problem I'm having. I was cleaning TUNNELS at a car wash yesterday and I went to have a soda and talk to the owner and I walked away from the machine (it wasnt running) but now I cant start it?! I mean I can pull start it but it wont start by the key. All it does is "click". Now I took it to a batterys plus place and had them test the battery and it tests strong. I figured it would since the burner kicks on strong. Todd LeClair told me he heard that the RK21 has bad battery connections and some guys have done away with the old. Now this machine was purchased used with only 10 hours on it. I have used it to clean 3 turcks and trailers doing demos and washing 3 local tunnels. That is only and additional 10 to 15 hours.

So you know I have followed all wires running off of the battery and all seems tight and connected well. There is a white wire that is sitting by itself but there is nothing for it to connect to. Can anyone help and I am out of answers.

Rob

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
I can't remember what it is called, I think solenoid or transformer. I had my replaced for 25 bucks. I took it to the shop and the guy new what it was right away. Mine went out with in the first 20 to 50 hours or so. It has been fine since. 400 hours later.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

L

LightningClean

Dan,
Thanks I hope your right. I have a Hotsy dealer about a block from my warehouse and I will take it there tomorrow and see if that is it.

I would still like to hear other poss. to this problem. I find it hard to belive such a new machine has to be fixed already. Dan have you had any other problems? Did you change out the cables to the battery? I really like this machine and was one great deal at $2000 even if I have to put in some here and there on it. Thanks in advance for any other problems that others have had with the machine.

Rob

Randy

good battery + starter click, click, click + goog cable connections = bad started soleniod
times that by your warrenty = 1 happy camper

Douglas Hicks

Double check thos battery cables. I replaced one of mine 6 weeks after purchase of the machine. Mine had crimped on ends. I had the same problem as you, fixed it with a hammer. (No No, I used the hammer to beat on the crimp, not the pressure washer.) Next day I went to the parts house and bought a replacement cabe, larger cable, better connections. No more problems,

L

LightningClean

Thanks guys, I think that it is only a cable, as I got 6 e-mails saying that is the problem that they had. There is no click, click, click. There is just one mild click when I first attempt to start it. I will let you know as from what I understand there is quite a few problems with this unit.

Rob

Jon

Hey Rob,

Easy fix, just think back to when you were a teenager taking a car for a joyride!

I am sure you could hot wire that motor just as fast
smile.gif

Jon

L

LightningClean

Jon,

I'm trying to relate to that, but I was smart I only took the ones with the keys.
LOL

By the way Jon, I got the pictures of your rig 2 days ago, very very nice!!!!!
Has the rain quit and have you cleaned that job yet? Dont forget to take after pictures for me, ok? Let me know.

Rob

------------------

Shawn Perkins

It is most likely the starter solenoid.
You can test this by jumping across the
solenoid with a screw driver.
Make sure the screw driver is insulated.
You also need to update the + and - battery cables with auto type.Everyone should have an extra solenoid on the truck.It only takes about 2 mins to replace and the cost is about 25 dollars.

Good Luck.

L

LightningClean

Thanks for all the help, I think that I am going to do all these things to the machine since these are common and inexpensive problems and maybe that will keep it starting in the future

Rob

Lorin Grable

I had problems with the B & S starter solenopid on my RK-21. Had it replaced by B&S under engine warranty but it crapped out again. IT IS A CHEAP SOLENOID. Pitch the damn thing and go buy a Ford truck starter solnoid for about $6 and put it on there and forget about it.

L

LightningClean

Lorin,

I thought you were going to help me fix it, not confuse it so it never runs again. ford, hahahahahahahahahaha, well at least you have a sence of humor. You never did tell me did you get the part off the ford truck in your back yard?

Hey when I was 18 yrs old I had a '32 Deuce Coupe, powered by a blueprinted 327 CHEVY engine (and they say you cant teach an old DOG new TRICKS) If that same car would of had a 302 in her, "that dog wouldn't of hunted now would it of?"

Our Sponsors