Trailer Brakes

M

Mike@Everclear

I had my trailer in the shop today for inspection ( Pennsylvania is real big on inspecting things)..... I expected it to pass with flying colors since the trailer is not even a year old, and probably has been pulled less then 4000 miles.

Well, it needed new brakes on the rear axle. I was wondering, is it normal to burn through electric brakes that quickly? Anyone out there had similar problems?

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Richard

Originally posted by Mike@Everclear:
I had my trailer in the shop today for inspection ( Pennsylvania is real big on inspecting things)..... I expected it to pass with flying colors since the trailer is not even a year old, and probably has been pulled less then 4000 miles.

Well, it needed new brakes on the rear axle. I was wondering, is it normal to burn through electric brakes that quickly? Anyone out there had similar problems?
Hey Mike; yep I did, but it was more than 4000 miles. I'd be wondering if maybe the booster in the cab wasnt set properly?
Richard

C

Craig/PowerWashUnlimited

Mike,

Yep, you just need to adjust your booster settings. I don't use trailer brakes. Been hauling all size trailers in my life, and they are only trouble. Now that i alive near Houston, its a little more challenging, but swore off of them when i was 19 i was hauling cattle from my home town sale barn to Ft Worth a few trips a week using a 32 ft gooseneck with another friend of mine using the same type trailer. He had to hit his brakes pretty hard on the interstate and the brakes locked up and it fishtailed him right into the ditch, causing him to flip and, well, it was not pretty.
boom.gif
I dont recommend them or not recommend them, i just prefer not to use trailer brakes. Just my opinion.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited
www.powerwashunlimited.com

whiplash

without trailer brakes you are an accident waiting to happen i drove over the road for 15 years until i decided to stay home with the family.i now powerwash for a living. the equipment i use is a 1999 ford 1 ton 4x4 pull a 30ft goose neck with 2 washers 2-5oogallon water tanks 3-55 gallon drums of soaps,acids waxes, etc.behind this trailer i pull a 20ft flatbed trailer with 2 washers 1-500 gallon tank 2-55 gal. drums(total gross weight=30,000lbs loaded)electric trailer brakes on both trailers.COULDNT STOP IF I DIDNT HAVE BRAKES.by the way, ive gotten really good at backing double trailers in the shop.just had to put my thoughts in

------------------

Lorin Grable

Not to mention that it is against the law in almost all states NOT to have a braking system on trailer og gross weight above 2000 lbs (some states 35)? Reason for this is that a breakaway braking system must be present if for some reason the trailer breaks away from the vehicle, it just doesn't continue down the road and kill a bunch people. Thanls but no thanks - I'll have my trailer brakes operating each and every day - I wouldn't want that liability hanging over my head. (And if the DOT ever stops you for an inspection...well, break out your wallet!)

Jon

Hey guys n gals,

Got a question concerning trailer brakes.

Which do you have and why do you like them best?

If you were to buy a new trailer would you have surge or electric brakes installed and why?

I know a lot of new pickup trucks are pre wired for brakes and that sort of makes it easy to go for electric but again some don't choose that route.

Lets hear the pro and cons about brakes.

Jon

PS: have electric since my truck is wired for them and 5th wheel has them also.

------------------
I'm always cleaning up other people's me$$es.

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247

Lorin Grable

Surge brakes are hydraulic and thus there are the maintenance issues of fluid, pistons etc. In order to back up (especially up hill) you have to mechanically lock out the braking system so the brakes are not applied as you back up. (There are also electrically activated lock outs available for surge brakes). Advantage - no controllers necessary on tow vehicle and braking action is proprotional to how hard you stop the tow vehicle.

Electric brakes are simpler to maintain. and are less expensive, especially if you want to have brakes on multiple axles. But the tow vehicle has to have a brake controller (with a wire run back to the trailer wiring connector.) A good controller will cost about $100 is simple to install. Most electric controllers these days are of the time delay type and 'ramp up' to full current to the brakes over a short period of time. That way the brakes on the trailer are not just ON or OFF but a gradual application of trailer brakes. Usually, controllers also have a maual button for separate activation of the trailer brakes without applying the tow vehicle brakes so that if you are going down hill and the trailer starts getting a little squirrely (i.e. the trailer is pushing the tow vehicle), you can apply the trailer brakes to calm things down.

Obviously, electic trailer brakes are not a good idea for boat trailers that are frequently submersed in water. They do alright in normal road spray condiitons.

With respect to brakaway systems, the surge type already has a built in sytems for brealkaway situations - a pin is pulled and the brakes are applied. The electric type need a separate breakaway switch and a trailer mounted battery to energized the brakes (however, I just connect the switch to the battery of my power washer unit).

Rental yards use surge sytems on their trailers because of the variety of tow vehicles and all 'control' for having a proper braking system is in their hands.

The electric systems offer a little bit more contol over the braking action on the trailer.

Got more questions on trailers and brakes? Just ASK.

Richard

Originally posted by Jon:
Hey guys n gals,

Got a question concerning trailer brakes.

Which do you have and why do you like them best?

If you were to buy a new trailer would you have surge or electric brakes installed and why?

I know a lot of new pickup trucks are pre wired for brakes and that sort of makes it easy to go for electric but again some don't choose that route.

Lets hear the pro and cons about brakes.

Jon

PS: have electric since my truck is wired for them and 5th wheel has them also.

Yep; don't like the surge brakes, I much prefer the simplicity of the electric brakes myself.
Richard

Our Sponsors