Correct process?

jjpalomo

Hello Power Washers!
I have a hot pw 2000 psi, i have used only
hot water,
take off the stain from wood takes a lot of
time, and the wood is not perfect, some spots on it, if I try more I can cause damage to the wood.

1.Which is the correct process to strip the stain from wood?
2.How can I get a bright wood, could you give
the tip and the right products?
Thank You.

M

Mike@Everclear

Their are many different types of chemicals/cleaners that can be used on a deck. It all depends on what condition it is in. Sodium Hydroxide is what most people use for stripping stubborn failing finishes. Do not use sodium hydroxide if the deck is only grey or dirty. If no stripping is necessary, go with a cleaner that is easier to work with and easier on the wood. If mold is involved, you might consider using some bleach.....however, this is a widely debated topic. Some people favor using bleach, and others are dead-set against it.

Most cleaners (especially Sodium Hydroxide) require you to neutralize or brighten the wood after cleaning. My favorite product for brightening wood is made by Ready Products, makers of Ready Seal. It is called #80 Brightener, I use it on all of my decks after washing. It can be bought from Sunbrite, click on their logo at top of page. They also sell a cleaner for every occasion.......I'm sure they would be very helpful to you.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Mike@Everclear on July 12, 2000 ]</font>

sluggo

Mike covered most of it( he knows his stuff)It is important to remove all your previous stain or else you new application will be blotchy or uneven. Sodium hydroxide is commonly used for removing stains. It is applied in a very diluted solution. Usually 2 to 6% it sits on the wood until the stain is melted. usually you can test this by using a plastic putty knife and scrapping lightly if you see clean wood it is ready for the pressure washer. when you use your washer it should come off with low pressure. usually i start at 300 psi and increase till the wood starts to fur then back off then pressure. usually this is at about 1200 psi. the old stain will melt like butter off the deck. then you use an oxalic acid solution to put the ph of the wood back to normal. often if you skip this step your deck turns dark in color. after the deck is bone dry and i do mean bone dry test the surface to see if the wood absorbs well. do this by splashing water on the wood if the wood absorbs the water the spot you spashed is ready to accept the sealer.when the wood is bone dry and perfectly clean you can apply a new coat of sealer.

Our Sponsors