Trading Secrets

DevilDog

I've been cleaning decks forever it seems and I've been in this biz for 15+ and feel confident that the work I do is of the highest quality. I have been reading a lot of post about removing other stains and or sealers and I have a chemical I have used for 9 years that works great for removing CWF and many others but you have to remember to rinse and keep on rinsing for a little while.
What is it?

Mineral Spirits (paint thinner)
No big secret where to get it and you dont have to spend 100's getting it shipped in, all you have to do is apply it to the area that has sealer on it and then allow 10 minutes to start to work and I always apply one more thin coat and wait 10 more and then hit with 2000 psi and a 25-45 degree tip and "wala" sealer is gone. I would then follow thru with your normal cleaning proceedure as usual and then simply reseal. Give it a try on your next bid.
Here is what I do, I take some with me in a garden sprayer and when I get to the bid I tell them that I have to do a small sample spot, I apply then wait and hit with pressure and see the results. What does that do for me? It A) proves to me that the sealer will come off and B) Shows the homeowner that I can do the job.
I also tell them that it is a special stripper for sealers (it really is so I'm not lying to them). I have rarely missed out on a job where stripping was a factor. Good luck this year and maybe this little tip will help you.
Share a tip with the group, together we will learn.

DD

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hey DD, Thanks for the tip
icon17.gif
Will that work with solid stains?

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

C

CavalierPressureCleaning

Any problems with lasting odors or plant kill from run off?
Thanks
Adrian

S

Steve@STATELINE P/W

Can yo smoke a cigarette while doing this????????????
eek2.gif

Just kidding...Will it soak up in the wood and turn in colors???

Steve

Stateline Pressure Washing

Paul

It sounds pretty good and if you're using a product like ready seal as a finish product it should work real well I would think.

I tried using Mineral Spirits on a picnic table that I have in the yard. The table is about 4 years old and has had Behr, semi-transparent stain on it for about 3 years. Well I applied using my Solo pump up, then waited 10 min, then re-applied another coat and waited 10 more min. Well, it did not work. My picnic table looks about the same as it did before. But I'll tell you one thing, I won't have to move my picnic table to move around it anymore, because all the grass around/under it is dead. I think I'll start using this stuff as weed/grass killer! It works a lot better than Round UP.

Jim Bilyeu

Sorry to hear about your grass Larry. When I read that post I just laughed and wondered how many would try it. If it was that easy, don't you think that everyone would be using it? Granted, there are some finishes out there that it would probably work on, but there again, these finishes would come off by using nothing but water. We are starting a house today that the finish is so bad that all we have to do is pre-wet the surface and then power wash with hot water. We really don't have to pre-wet the surface, but we have found that it does make removal a little easier. Remember that old saying " if it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't." Again, sorry about your grass. If your as picky as I am about your yard, your probably really ticked off. Have a great day.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare

Our Sponsors