Year old cedar house...

Robert

Here is the situation... Cedar house is a year old... the builder contract staining the house both inside and outside... The out side was stain on two different times.. First thing I notice was they stray it on and on the sides of the house you can see where they started and finish straying which in mean left stripes down the house...Second thing the railing look like they did'nt get stain at all... The more I talk to the home owner it look like they might of stain the outside when the wood was still wet cause the stain to run off, said they had two week of hard rain before they shot the stain on. Well I told them to do it right that the house needs to be stripe, clean, and reseal. The reason for the stripping was to remove the stripe around the house... I don,t what to just clean and reseal because it would leave the same marking on the house. I what to do this job the right way so I can get more work from the builder,which they said they have three more house like this one...I am open for any suggestion from all... I bid this job out at $3500.00 for 3200 sq. ft...

Jim Bilyeu

Hello Robert,
After reading you post, several questions came to mind. The 3500 sq. ft., is that living area or wall area to be worked? What product is on the house now? Is this a one story or two story house? Even without knowing these factors, it sounds like your bid is on the light side. I know that pricing varies from place to place but the last job we did just outside of Dallas was a 4500 sq. ft. home ( almost 6000 sq. feet of area to be worked ) We did that one for $18000.00. I just turned down a job in Italy, texas for $9000.00 for a strip only. I really wanted that job, but no time to do it in. When your booked, your booked. If you have trouble stripping off the old finish, you may find yourself in the hole. I know this hasn't helped you much, but if you have any questions, I'll try to help you. Have a great day.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare

Robert

Hi Jim,
All 3500 sq. ft, is going to be all exterior work... At the present time the home owner dose'nt know what product they used on the house, but they are finding out..Just a one story house, but has three dog house on top that need work...Yes I must agree with you about the price, but I am just starting out and learning alot on my own plus reading this excellent board...Jim,I work at a coal mine at the present time and have 14 days off a month, going on 15 years now and getting burn out working shift work...Place is up for sell now, and hope I can get a good buy out... Mean time I am learing all I can about this type of work.. I have none 5 decks, 1 fence, 1 boat dock job this summer, and every one has been happy with my work.. Plus I am getting more satisfaction doing my work than out at the coal mine...The product that I use is BEHR,stripper,brighter and sealer... Can't find any thing different around here, what is your opinion on this brand? Sure would like too take some kind of class to learn more, you know of any or even a convention coming in the furture? Buy the way Italy is just up the road from me about 60 miles, small world is'nt it...Have a nice day...

Robert

P

pressurewashing

Hi Jim,
Just wondering. Do you always travel from oregon to texas for jobs? Do you travel all the time or do you do jobs in Oregon, too?

I don't mean to be sarcastic but that is a little far from you isn't it?

I don't blame you, I would travel too for 18000.

Jim & Shirley

Jim Bilyeu

Hello Jim & Shirley, Texas isn't really that far for me. At least we can drive there. It's when you have to go to Japan, Germany, Norway and a few other places that it gets a little tricky. The bulk of our work comes from Oregon, Washington, Calif. and Nevada. The other jobs accross the nation all come from referrals. You see, we only restore log homes. We do everything from stripping, finishing, chinking, caulking, dry rot repair and log replacements. Instead of a client having to hire 3 or 4 contractors to restore his home, he can call us and we can do it all.

Most of the log homes we work on are $1,000,000 plus homes. When we finish a home, the client knows that everything was done by the book. We use only the best products. If the client can't afford the best products, he can't afford us. That may sound arragant, but we can't afford to have a premature failure 3000 miles away or over seas.

Is there really that much of a need for this type of work. You bet there is. Right now I'm booked for this year and half of next year. I have jobs booked into 2002.

Bottom line is that I love to travel and meet new people. I enjoy what I do and I love to see the look on my clinets faces after we finish a job. To take something ugly and make it into something beautiful is my kind of job.

Hope this has answered some of your questions. Have a great evening.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare

P

pressurewashing

Jim

That sounds great we just didn't know exactly what all you cleaned. It is interesting, always wondered what they did with those log cabins.

How did you get started in it anyway? How long have you been doing this?

Thanks for the response and in clearifing it.

Wish we were as busy as you. Good luck and keep it up.
bounce2.gif
bounce2.gif

Jim & Shirley

Our Sponsors