lap marks

Barry Loy

Are lap marks just plain inevietable ? I used a 7.5 tip on my 3000psi machine recently, that should have put me around 1000 - 1200 psi, stayed away from the wood, and still had lap marks ( I was really trying to be careful ) Do you ever conquer lap marks or learn to adjust ?
Barry Loy

Barry, When I first started doing decks, which I don't really do that many now. I also had the problem with lap marks. I noticed that if I started at one end of the board (going with the grain) and walking the entire length of the board without stopping this would minimize the markings. I also tried to keep the wand the same distance away from the wood, If if you have to stop, tilt away from the surface, don't let go of the trigger while the water is in contact with the wood. I use a 4 gm/3000 psi machine, but I only use about 1000-1300psi when doing decks. I use this approach also when doing fences, clean down a board from the top and go all the way to the bottom without stopping, then up the other board without stopping , This seems to work for me. I also only use a 40 degree nozzle on wood, nothing smaller.
boldfire.gif

Barry Loy

Originally posted by Larry Ray Staton:
Barry, When I first started doing decks, which I don't really do that many now. I also had the problem with lap marks. I noticed that if I started at one end of the board (going with the grain) and walking the entire length of the board without stopping this would minimize the markings. I also tried to keep the wand the same distance away from the wood, If if you have to stop, tilt away from the surface, don't let go of the trigger while the water is in contact with the wood. I use a 4 gm/3000 psi machine, but I only use about 1000-1300psi when doing decks. I use this approach also when doing fences, clean down a board from the top and go all the way to the bottom without stopping, then up the other board without stopping , This seems to work for me. I also only use a 40 degree nozzle on wood, nothing smaller.
boldfire.gif
Thanks Larry, I have a similar machine
4 g's / 3 p's. ;) I have tried some of the same techniques, but probably need some deck time
smile.gif

Barry

M

Mike@Everclear

The best way to avoid these "lap marks" or clean spots as some call them is to use the proper cleaner on the wood. If you are using the right cleaners, you should be able to reduce the likelyhood that this will happen.

Like the above post mentioned, never stop in one place, keep it moving......if you have to stop raise the wand off the surface before you let go of the trigger.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

spraymasters

Yeppers,,,ditto both above. We do plenty of decks and have found if you use the right chems you don't have to hit the wood hard with the pressure. Also, if you start on one end and work all the way to the other without stopping...no marks! Same thing for the banisters etc.
Dennis

------------------
Living Life On the Edge Makes Us Dizzy...WE LOVE DIZZY!

Dennis A. Cormier and Gloria A. Wagner
North Georgia Spray Masters, Inc.
spraymasters@hotmail.com

JR Wood

I always walk the entire length of the board,I can't remember the last time I made stop marks.You also can correct them by
raising and lowering the wand as you come to the problem area.Earlier this year I hired a helper(Giant mistake)I don't remember how many times I had to show him how to clean without splintering the wood and making stop marks,He thought he could invent a better way by standing in 1 spot and doing a square at a time,which always resulted in stop marks.Needless to say after the 100th time I fired him!If you have to stop just do it at the end of a board.

Walt Edwards

Barry, I agree with allthe above replies. Just thought I'd add my two cents worth. I've only done a few wood restoration jobs myself, but I've found that using the proper cleaning chemicals I have much betters results. I can using minimal pressure and save lots of time. Hang in there' you'll find what works for you. PS Suggestion; find old boards, maybe someone who does deck repairs could provide those, and practice on those. Take Care and God Bless, Walt

Our Sponsors