Need a little help with a quote

Wood Care Plus

Hi there, newbee here...I will be quoting a job tmw and would really like some help on the quote...
New cedar deck (one month old)..very clean, the customer said that it doesnt need to be washed...so just a stain...It's 10x22 with spindles and 3 steps....level to the ground.
I'll be staining it with Wolmans F&P one coat.. with my airless....
Hopefully I covered everything...
Just need to know if I'm in the ball-park
Thanks in advance
Wood Care Plus<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Text</FONT f>

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hello,

First of all, a new deck needs to be washed. When it is cut at the mill, it gets a glaze on it called mill glaze. It needs to be removed. If it is left on, the stain will not sink in properly and or blotchy spots.

So I would price the deck as a wash and seal.
In our area, guessing it is close to the ground, we would be around 400.00. Material and labor included.

Hope I could help
spin.gif

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

ddoerr

You have to strip the mill glaze or the sealer will be absorbed unevenly.

My bid would be $465 for washing and sealing.

M

Mike@Everclear

As the others said, it needs to be washed. This is where you have to learn to educate the consumer. You have to explain mill glaze to them (caused by dull saw blades at the mill) It is similar to the pores on your skin......if you don't wash the deck, the sealer won't adhere properly.

Just this afternoon I bid on a deck that was just sealed in June and it looks horrible! Blotches all over it......looked like a leopard. I imagine this was because it was not cleaned.....

Good luck.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Wild Man

Mill glaze you must clean this deck before you seal it!! My price would be between $400-$450 Educate your customer your the xpert not them!!!If you just stain it the stain wont hold up and you'll look incompitant!!! I'm a Wolman certified contractor, but there are also better or just as good stains & seallers out there.....Good luck....Wild Man......

Our Sponsors