Time to seal

Robert

When building a new deck is there a certain time you must wait before sealing it? Been told a long time ago it is best for the wood to weather before sealing, is there anything to this? Also do you have to clean the wood before sealing..

------------------

Stateline P/W

Robert, my personal opinion, I qould give it a week or 2 to dry out a little. New wood needs to be washed before sealing--Sunbrite has a product called SAFE WASH-- would be a good choice.

Just my .02
fart.gif

Stateline Pressure Washing

------------------

[This message has been edited by Stateline P/W (edited August 21, 2000).]

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hi Robert,

With the cleaning chemicals on the market today, there really is no reason to let wood sit a suffer damage from the sun. You have to clean new wood to remove the mill glaze. This will prepare the surface to properly except the sealant applied.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

ALL-BRITE

Hi Robert from my understanding if the moisture content is low enough then I would try cleaning and sealing it. I have a moisture meter that I use to check the content it works real well. Hope this helps.
Tim

------------------
Tim Highfield
ALL-BRITE POWERWASHING

Mike Hughes

Ditto to all of the above. I saw a deck last week that was sealed without cleaning it first.....it looked like a leopard.....all blotchy.

Wash it first for sure. You don't really have to wait too long after it is built......it is somewhat of an old myth that you should let it weather for a year or so. Lots of damage can occur early on......best to get it protected.

I used Safe Wash for the first time a couple months ago on my own deck.......worked well.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Our Sponsors