to strip or not to strip sealer

Robert

Hello to all,

Have six year old cedar house which needs clean and resealed. My question is, is it a rule of trumb you must remove old sealer first and reseal or can you just clean it first and reseal over it?
Thank to all that responds.

------------------

Mike Hughes

Robert,

That would depend entirely on what type of sealer it is.......see if you can find out what's on there.

Mike

JR Wood

Your job is only going to be as good as what is underneath.Preperation is a key factor in determining how the coating performs,if you just clean and not strip you are bound to have premature failure in areas where the old sealer was about to fail...I always strip off everything and get the wood looking as nice as I can.You would be surprised how much better it looks if you start off with a nice clean surface.I just saw a painter staining an apartment building steps next door without stripping off the old stain...what a mess,you can see the old stain on the sides and it looks horrible...bottom line for the best job strip,strip,strip.
P.S Don't forget to neutralize with a wood britener(oxalic acid or citric acid) and then rinse,rinse,rinse.Good luck!
------------------

[This message has been edited by JR Wood (edited October 28, 2000).]

rvagnoni

Robert,

You must determine what was applied prior before making that call. I would suggest that you start fresh and strip the whole house and than seal.

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus

Our Sponsors