Is It Too Cold to Seal ??????

Mirage Cleaners

Got a call to clean and seal a deck and fence. Seems like a nice size job in a nice neighborhood and want to take advantage of the opportunity since things are VERY slow.

However, it's been kind of cold here in NY (snow flurries today!). What is the lowest temp possible to seal a deck? I'm using Ready Seal if that makes a difference.

------------------

JR Wood

If it is at least 50 degrees and the wood is dry you should be OK, about midweek they are calling for the 60s again.I work in northern New Jersey and I am still sealing.The problem is when the temps go below 50 everything stops curing and drying.as long as the wood is dry and above 50 for at least 6 to 8 hours the sealer will be dry to the touch and even if it doesn't fully dry right away, it will in time.Try to start sealing as early in the day as possible.

------------------

[This message has been edited by JR Wood (edited October 29, 2000).]

rvagnoni

I agree with JR. I use an oil penetrating sealer myself and am still sealing decks now. I first check each deck with a wood moisture meter before sealing. If it reads 12% or below...it's good to go for sealing!

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus

Our Sponsors