Water supply?

Hit the Deck

I live in an area where the majority of water comes from wells. When I go to a job to do a deck, should I have my own water supply? I'll be a rookie at this profession in the spring. I need all the help on this subject. Thanks in advance.........Cliff

------------------
If you stop to think to think and stop, you'd stop and think to think and stop.

ALL-BRITE

Hi Cliff
I do not know how much help I will be because I am just finishing up my rookie year right now.
This past year I did not haul water. I did in 2 cases have the customers wells not keep up with my unit so I ended up brushing more than spraying.
I just picked up my new enclosed trailer and in it I am going to put as large a tank as I can comfortably fit. 300-500gal. I do not plan on hauling water but if I have to it is there. Also I plan on piping my bypass into the tank so I do not have to worry about it heating the pump up if I stop spraying while the motor is still running. By having a tank even a small accumulation of 55gals will aleast allow you to run for awhile before you stop. So to answer your question I would say yes have some sort of acummulation tank.
Hope this makes sense . Learn from others mistakes I have made plenty. Later Tim

------------------
Tim Highfield
ALL-BRITE POWERWASHING

Tunatussle

Just remember if you carry water be sure the vehicle
is rated for that much weight. (over 7lbs per gallon)
and that the tank has a baffle system to prevent the
water from sloshing around too much while you are on
the road.

------------------

Mike Hughes

I believe water weighs over 8 pounds per gallon.....I think I heard someone say 8.33 once.....

I don't have baffles in my tank......couldnt find one at the time. Because I don't have baffles, I either pull it full, or below 100 gallons.

For those of you not familiar with baffles, they basically partition the tank and make life easier on your tow vehicle.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

ALL-BRITE

Mike
Nice article on gutter cleaning in the Water Works paper. Good Picture too....
Tim

------------------
Tim Highfield
ALL-BRITE POWERWASHING

Mike Hughes

Thanks Tim,
smile.gif
but the picture isn't mine.....they provided that.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

[This message has been edited by Mike Hughes (edited November 15, 2000).]

rvagnoni

Cliff,

I have been doing decks for almost ten years now and have never had a problem with hooking up to a customer's well. Of course it will depend on what g.p.m. your machine pulls. If it's 4.0 and below you should be fine, unless they have a drought in your area of course.

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus

JR Wood

I cleaned a rather large deck a couple of months ago and did not realize that it was a well.All of a sudden my machine made that noise it makes when it was starved for more water.And I also noticed that the water was steaming.The well was running dry and I was burning up the pump.Luckily I had the brains to pack up and come back the next day to finish.From what I understand it was a "torpedo" pump that was extremely difficult to service,it could have cost me 600 or $700
to fix....so my advice to you would be to check the temperature of the water every once in a while if you are doing a large job.

------------------

Greg Rentschler

We draw from a 225 gallon water tank on our primary unit and supply it with a source from the job site. If water pressure or supply is low (which we check when estimating the job) we come in with tanks full. The other advantage to this setup is you are able to run more than one washer easily. We have ran up to 3 washers (15 gpm) off of one water tank and one incoming supply. We also have two 550 gallon tanks if need be but seldom use them.

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
TimberSeal Inc.

JR Wood

How long does a 225 gallon tank last with 3 machines running?

------------------

[This message has been edited by JR Wood (edited November 19, 2000).]

Greg Rentschler

JR,

About 20 mins if we have no constant supply feeding it, otherwise we can run non stop. Some of our jobs have more than supplied our tanks while others couldn't keep up with just 2 machines running. The bad part is it seems it's the commercial sites whose water supply cannot keep up.

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
TimberSeal Inc.

Hit the Deck

Gentlemen,
It looks like I'm bringing my own water to the job. Thanks for all the suggestions. This rookie can use all the help he can get. Take care and thanks again....Cliff

------------------

[This message has been edited by Hit the Deck (edited November 21, 2000).]

Hit the Deck

Gentelmen,
It looks like I'm bringing my own water to the job. Thaks for all the sugestions. This rookie can use all the help he can get. Take care and thanks again....Cliff

------------------

AranServices

For the most part you really should be alright with a 200 or 250 gallon tank. My one trailer has a skid mount that pumps 4.8 GPM and has no problem with a 200 gal. tank.

The other trailer has a skid mount unit that pumps about 5.3 GPM and it 's hooked to a 250 gal. tank & it does just fine!

That is my experience!
There are a lot of places with wells around here!
Good luck!

------------------
Cleaning America - One Job At A Time!

E-MAIL: aran@bellsouth.net
Our URL: http://easypath.to/pressurewashing

Our Sponsors