Sealers and wood

Scott Stone

As many of you know I don't touch decks. There are not many here and it just would not be worth the time and expense for me to buy the equipment to do them properly.
I have a question for all of you experts out there.
I recently moved and need to get or build a swing set out of wood for my kids. Of course, I don't want to do any work and have it magically appear, but, I don't see that happening.
I need to know what kind of wood would be the best for this project, Pressure treated pine or Cedar, or what have you? If it is something that is not really wood, wha tis it and where do I get it?
Secondly, I need to know what kind of sealer that you would recommend for durability and ease of maintenance? A local place is promoting Wolman's Extreme for swing sets, but, I have never heard it mentioned on the boards.
So what would you suggest? Any help is appreciated, and my baby girl really wants it bad;)

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Roy Moren

Scott, You really can't go wrong with pressure treated pine. Its probably the best choice for a swing set. The Wolman Extreme would be good, but more work than using something like Wolman F&P. You should put on two coats of extreme, where one good wet coat of F&P would be needed. The extreme will probably outlast the F&P but you can apply the F&P with a pumpup sprayer, where you need a airless for exteme.
You can brush on both but then you said you didn't want to do any work. Good Luck,,,,,,Roy

------------------

Scott Stone

Thanks Roy, I guess that I could always expand the talents of those that work for me.

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

rvagnoni

Scott,

A lot depends on how much you want to spend. I can tell you that redwood is very popular amongst the playsets that we work on here in Pennsylvania. Of course more expensive also. Pressure treated will work fine but will require more care and maintenance... Not the best looking of the wood categories either...seems to splinter more so. A big concern with kids being around.

Mr. Moren is correct. If you do decide to go with p.t. wood, I would definitely use the Wolmans Extreme. It will give the wood a smoother finish and help to keep those splinters down.

Hope this helps...good luck!

Let us all know how you make out.

Text

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus

[This message has been edited by rvagnoni (edited November 05, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by rvagnoni (edited November 05, 2000).]

Craig Knight

Scott,

Lots of playgrounds around here. Almost all are made out of p.t. pine. 4x4 uprights and bolts rather than nails (so you can keep it tight)

Most all are 2 to 10 years old and the ones with roofs instead of the canvas covers are in great shape.

If you need some plans or ideas to go by, you can go to home depot and look at the ones they sell. They sell the hardware and precut the wood for you.

Santa is bringing my boy a playset, but it will be more of a fort than a playset. Still drawing up the plans, but if you want to take a look when i am done, i would be more than happy to send them to you.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Greg Rentschler

I am a big fan of Cedar myself. Just looks better and it's a little more resistant to mother nature. Seals up beautifully. As far as finishes go I would recommend F & P over the extreme if you go with Wolmans. Acrylic finishes are a bear to remove if the neeed should arise and they tend to hide the grain a whole lot more. Or, just ask Pierce or Chris for a really large sample of Ready Seal... mmm ...your experimenting with expanding your business! This is a really easy finish to apply every 2 years. I recomend natural cedar.

P.S. I don't like the fact that your building playsets while I am building snowmen... that's just wrong
smile.gif

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
TimberSeal, Inc

Our Sponsors