Deck Restoration

Rick T

I am curious as to how much "restoration" you get into.Do you limit it to tightening down loose boards or do you go as far as rebuilding sections of decking where needed?

RICK T

------------------

Craig Knight

Rick,

Got into quite a bit of repair work last year. Would charge by the hour plus materials. I enjoy working with wood is my main reason for taking on the repair work. Also, most of this work was done for home owner associations and they love when your the one call type of business. "Hey call Rick, he can do it." I do alot of stuff that has nothing to do with pw just because i have never turned them down. They call about anything, and if your at least partially intellegent, like me, then you can use the ole noggen, and figure it out. Ok, i got off the subject. Sorry.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
www.powerwashunlimited.com

L

Layman's P/W

I repair anything the customer wants fixed or replaced,I do the cleaning and preping but last year I stopped staining...what a headache that was!
My schedule was so screwed up in 1999 because of weather related pospoanments it almost drove me nuts.
I can make more money with less headaches by not staining unless it is a huge job.

------------------

JR Wood

By staining,I am assuming that you mean sealing or staining which usually means finishing the job.In 5 years of this business,and most of it being in the deck cleaning arena.I have rarely come across customers that just want their deck cleaned(although it happens,and I welcome this for the instant cash)I just wouldn't bank on this as being a very prosperous venture unless you have a lot of other work and this is on the side because the public by and large wants the deck sealed or stained.
PS i do alot of repairs and try to sell it when I can. A good one is an anti sag kit on gates they are easy to put on and cost $12 at home depot I charge $25 and it takes 5 minutes.
------------------
J.R WOOD POWER WASHING*1-800-782-9919
ABACUS DECK CARE*1-866-7-ABACUS
J&B SNOW PLOW*1-973-328-6650
SHOWCASE LAWNS OF NEW JERSEY*1-866-SHOCASE

DID SOMEONE SAY DIVERSIFY?

[This message has been edited by JR Wood (edited January 19, 2001).]

L

Layman's P/W

I refer my customers to one of three painting contractors I know for the sealing stage of the job, I just had a hard time working around the weather. When a good day to apply the sealer came along a lot of times I would already be committed to another job then the customer would call wondering where I was.

JR do you spray? if so what if the wind gets up... do you brush or roll? do you have the same trouble scheduling that I had?

Daren

------------------

JR Wood

For thinner material I use a pump up sprayer and stain pads by the house for the thicker stuff I use an airless.And yes last year was a nightmare.At one point I had 18 decks waiting to be finished with no end to the rain in sight.I used Wolman raincoat on a few jobs that I didn't want to,simply because it is water based and you can apply it on the deck when it's a little damp.Be cautioned it is always windy in the early spring and in the fall.You just have to do spindles when the wind dies down and do the floor when it's windy.I will sometimes use a roller or 7-9 inch stain pad if things get too ridiculous.

------------------
J.R WOOD POWER WASHING*1-800-782-9919
ABACUS DECK CARE*1-866-7-ABACUS
J&B SNOW PLOW*1-973-328-6650
SHOWCASE LAWNS OF NEW JERSEY*1-866-SHOCASE

DID SOMEONE SAY DIVERSIFY?

rvagnoni

We too offer deck repairs to our customers when needed. Charging by the hour plus materials. If it is a real large job we sub out to other contractors.

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus
If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem wonderful at all. -- Michelangelo

PUREPOWER

I do all deck repairs that I possibly can. I worked for a deck contractor first out of high school.

I will replace floor boards, railings, and spindles. When it gets to structural things, I have the customer call a general building contractor.

I got backed up with stain jobs last year also, but, I found the time to do them myself. Not knockin' any of you, I just made it priority. My other customers did not mind waiting that extra day.

Jordan

------------------

Our Sponsors