Paint removal from deck surface

rvagnoni

Can you be more specific about your situation? What type of paint are you looking to remove? Is it oil or latex base?

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus
If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem wonderful at all. -- Michelangelo

Sampsons P/W

Originally posted by Sampsons Power Washing:
I would like to know what I can use to remove paint from a painted deck?

Both, oil based and latex, I had a call about cleaning a deck that was painted and they want the natural wood look again, not being a painter I didn't know so any help would be greatful.

------------------

rvagnoni

For the oil based you might be able to use a sodium hydroxide based stripper. The Latex is another story. You will need to use a methelyne based stripper for that, which you can purchase at any local paint or home store. I would also recommend a product called Stripsol, which you can use for both. You can purchase it from http://www.sunbrite.com former sponsers of this board.

My advice though is if you really aren't familer with doing this type of job. You may want to pass on it.

If you have any further questions feel free to email me.

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus
If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem wonderful at all. -- Michelangelo

Mike Hughes

I couldn't say it any better then that, Rick!

If you do decide to tackle the job, set realistic expectations with your customer before you start. I alway tell them that I might not be able to remove all of the existing paint or whatever........and that the worst case scenario would be they would have to paint it with a similar product again. Most people understand. Those that don't understand, I don't do the job.

If you set your customers expectations that way, you win either way.......and if you actually do get it all off, you look like a hero. If you don't, you still look good, because you did what you promised.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Rick T

Last year I faced this same problem.Believe me there is no easy way to totally remove paint from a deck.After trying several differant methods of paint removal and about a half dozen differant chemicals but still unable to "totally" remove the paint the homeowner decided to let me repaint the deck instead.The deck was well prepped for paint by then.We applied a new coat of paint and the customer was very pleased.It was a very frustrating experience but I learned a lot from it.As was stated before me,be sure to inform the customer what they should realisticly expect.There will be sections of wood that will not "give up the ghost" without a struggle.Price accordingly.

Best of luck.

RICK T

------------------

rvagnoni

<FONT COLOR="Blue">Great advice Mike!</FONT c>

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus

Our Sponsors