First wood job HELP!!!!!!!!

Shrido

Hey all . Just wanna say I loved the post on sealing decks. lots of Info. I have a couple of questions tho. I got asked to clean my first deck and house ..the deck has that red stain on it. what do you use to clean it. soap and such? what about PSI...Is 1500 to much if ya carefull? as far as the house goes it has ceder siding. some mold on the north side but not to much. I ve read bout you usein bleach, but what kind and at what mix, and how do you apply ...will a x-jet work? the house is 2-3 stories sits on the side of the mountain ..would really like to do this right as it WILL lead to much more work. Oh yea the hous is stained also.not sure how long ago tho ....im jsut lookin at cleanin not redoin the stain unless. it would be worth it ...and i hate to ask as it caused some mutch trouble elsewhere but what would you bid? would $2 a lin. ft sound ok? (jsut to clean) i need help please! thanks.....till then enjoy :)

------------------

Craig Knight

Shrido,

You need to find out what their expectations are. What are they wanting, just a cleaning, stipping, reasealing, what? I will answer both ways

<FONT COLOR="Red">the deck has that red stain on it. what do you use to clean it. </FONT c>
If it is stained you will have to use a sodium hydroxide based stripper to bring it back to original color, then follow with a neutralizer to brighten. If you are just cleaning, not to reseal, just to remove mold and mildew, you need to just use a bleach/water mixture and light rinse to remove.

<FONT COLOR="Green">what about PSI...Is 1500 to much if ya carefull? </FONT c>

1500 is too high, get a larger tip, such as a 2510 or so. This will reduce pressure but allow lots of water, gpms.

<FONT COLOR="Blue">as far as the house goes it has ceder siding</FONT c>

again,you need to find out if you what the customer is expecting, cleaning, and not sealing, or what. If you are just cleaning, be very careful with the cedar, yes, bleach and water will clean it, but if you have to put any pressure on it, you run the chance of removing stain/sealer, if any. Again, you will have to neutralize to restore after bleach solution. If you want to make the best money and biggest hit, clean and strip the stain from the cedar, neutralize with oxalic acid then restain and you will have a customer for life.

Warning, this is a big job for first time wood restoration, beware and talk to the experts here before jumping over that fence. If i can help anymore, just email or post here, i will do what i can, but there are guys here that specialize in cedar homes, but the deck is a breeze.

------------------
Craig Knight
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Shrido

Hey thanks loads Craig Ill keep checkin back to see what yall gotta say .....thanks
BTW i have a 3000# 5.5 machine

------------------

[This message has been edited by Shrido (edited January 30, 2001).]

Mike Hughes

There is so much to say about this........Craig said a mouthful...........what he said is right on the money.

You can really screw up a cedar sided home if not done properly. I would suggest you seriously consider letting this one go........unless you really feel you're up to it. I have been involved in wood restoration going into my fourth year now, and I still won't do a cedar sided house.............especially one with some mystery stain on it. Does the homeowner know what is on the house?

2 to 3 stories on the side of a mountain? How are you going to reach the top? Wood is not exactly as easy as washing vinyl.......you need to reach the whole house.......

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

TCross

In order to answer your question correctly there are a number of facts that need to be known.

1) You mentioned that the deck has a red stain on it. Is the stain failing ( cracking, peeling, fading, etc.) and they want to re-stain it? Or is it in good shape and they do not like the color and want to change that? Or is the deck just covered with dirt,fungus etc. but the stain is in good shape?

2) With the siding the same questions need to be answered before detailed advice can be given.

3)Ask the homeowner if they know what type or brand finish is on the deck and siding and that will also allow your question to be answered in detail.

As far as a pressure washer capable of 1500 psi is concerned, when restoring wood the least amount of pressure you can use the better, however the gallons per minute of the machine play a huge role in restoring wood. If your machine is capable of 1500 psi and is only 2-3gpm than it is not a machine to be used for wood restoration. A machine capable of 3000 psi at 5-6 gpm is what is needed in large wood restoration projects. When the proper nozzles are used these machines will clean quicker, better, and at a lower pressure than a unit with a lower gpm.

Feel free to answer the questions I have asked and I will steer you in the right direction. As Mike has mentioned it sounds like a big project for your first wood restoration job, but you have to start somewhere, why not at the top.

Tim Cross

------------------

Shrido

Hey all .....from what I understand is that it was cleaned and stained last yr( house and deck) ....They are just wanting to clean it this yr,(mold) they are not happy with the last guy that did it cause he didnt do a very good job and got stain on the glass and such and another house he blowed the saels in ALL the thermal pains ( still in law suit) Im not in any hurry to start as of the weather here so i have lots of time to do my home work.
As for the brand of the stain they are tryin to get me the info on that.
My equip is a 3500psi at 5.5 gpm hot water (do you use hot or cold)and have tips down to 500 psi
I double checked and the house is 2 story and not 3.
If i can think of anything else ill let yall knwo .....till then enjopy:) John

------------------

charlie

I wouldn't do it, due to the fact there is a law suit pending. I wouldn't tell you to walk away if you have done this before since you are knew at this, start out small and in kno time you will get up to that level. That is why so many businesses fail they over extend themselves. Your reputation is on the line. My 4 Cents

Charlie

------------------

Mike Hughes

Originally posted by charlie:
I wouldn't do it, due to the fact there is a law suit pending.

I somewhat agree with that.........what if it is you next?? On the other hand, if you do alot of research, and do a good job, you could have a customer for life. They will probably want it done every year........and it is nice to have clients like that.

Your equipment sounds good.......just use larger tips sizes to seriously reduce the PSI......or, a dual lance wand.

Is it dirt on the home, or is it mold/mildew??

Anyway......keep asking questions......maybe u could pull this off!

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Craig Knight

If it is just a clean, and not a clean and seal, i would definitly consider it. Let Tim Cross get back to you, he is very knowledgable in this area, and is willing to guide you through it.

Sorry, i have to end in another warning, If your going to clean this thing, a bleach and water mixture will get the mold and mildew off it, but if you let any of the mixture get into the bad seals on the windows, onto the carpet, hardwood floors or whatever, you up a creek. Do not do this job till they get the windows fixed. There is no way to do it safely until they do so.

Find out what they applied on there last year then give Tim Cross a call.

------------------
Craig Knight
www.powerwashunlimited.com

TCross

Shrido-
Just cleaning the home and deck are not the answer. If the siding and deck were just restored and treated properly last year than they should not have developed mold, mildew and fungus growth.

It sounds to me like an inexperienced contractor tried to make a quick buck. The only way to attack this situation is to completly strip the siding and deck of the inferior finish, prep the siding and deck properly and apply a quality wood treatment product. Anything else would be a band-aid on the situation.

You need to become an expert in your field so you can inform the homewowners of what needs to be done.

Simply cleaning the mold off is a short term solution and it will grow back quickly. You need to keep in mind that if the wood is developing fungus growth not even a year after it was treted than the wood is not protected. And your ultimate goal is to protect the wood, extend its life and keep it looking good.

Find out exatly what finish was applied, how the home was cleaned and prepared to accept the finish that was applied. We can then help you inform the homeowner of the best solution to there problem.

Tim Cross

------------------

Shrido

Hey guys ......THANKS!!!! youve helped a bunch. It was another house that had the thremal pains blown on it. from what i understand is its the same guy that did the job. im still tryin to get more info on it and I might take a drive up there this wk end and check things out first hand. Tim if i can call you that would be really nice. email me your num and a good time to call if you wouldnt mind.
stokpix@aculink,net
till then enjoy :)

------------------

Our Sponsors