Flatwork and drive-thru lanes

Maz

I was asked to put in a bid to clean the drive-thru lanes for 43 banks on a monthly basis. The bank wants us to price them on a per lane basis. Do any of you do this kind of work? How long does it take you? What type of degreaser do you use? How much do you charge? The range in my area is $5-15 per lane.
THANKS,
Mark

Jon

Hi,
How many lanes per bank, how many miles to each bank?

Most banks have 3 drives and should take about an hour for all 3 per stop. I would go for $12 per lane unless you know you can get $15, then go for that.
If you have to drive over an hour to each one consider travel time also, or lower price for local and add for distance and explain to them reason why.

Oh, don't expect to be paid pronto, banks love taking your money quick but when it comes to parting with theirs they are sloooowwww.

Jon

------------------
Beep beep, the OPC Roadrunner's cleaning up concrete etcetera.

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Dave Olson

Hello Maz,

You should figure out what your costs are. For example if you did the bank lanes for $5 and you want to generate a revenue of $45 per hour, you would need to do 9 lanes per hour!

Many fellows that I have talked with over the years agree that if you are not generating at least $45 per hour (gross revenue 1 man) you will not be profitable long term.

My two cents,

Dave Olson

------------------
Tidy Powerwash Service, Inc. P.O. Box 781, Catlin, Illinois 61817 Phone 217-427-5557, Fax 217-427-2632 We are a commercial cleaning contractor serving East-Central Illinois and West Central Indiana since 1984. http://www.tps-inc.com

J Prewitt

We get $35.00 per lane, use a degreser and a cement cleaner, high pressure and hot water.

I agree with Scott, You need to make a profit, what is your state tax's, workmans comp. investment in your equipment, profit, ect. What is your cost per hr. we try to work on a $50.00 per hr.

Bidding on 35 banks with atleast 3 drive up's, that's great and it means alot of work. Just don't let the numbers bother you. They know it's going to be expensive so don't cut you price too low.

If it was me, I would bid it at $3,000.00 per month one time service, and ask them to open up a checking account for me and make a direct deposit into that account.
Good luck
J Prewitt

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
I would reccomend that you not take this job. Here's why. First of all, while most of the locations may be close together, at least a few of them are going to be out of the way. So there is extra money invested into fuel and labor. If you do this job yourself, it may only take 45 minutes. If you hire someone else to do it, it will probably take an hour and a half. Second of all, you have to take into account the amount in overhead costs that you have to pay. Even if you charge the maximum amount per lane, you are only getting $30 - $45 per bank. Now you can figure that fuel is about $7 - $9 per hour, labor is around $13.75 per hour, and then there's workmans comp, liability insurance, preventative maintenence, regular maintenence, chemical costs, clerical costs, etc. That's another $7 - $8 per hour. So now you 're looking at an average of at least $30 per hour in overhead alone. You're practically going to be paying the bank to clean their lanes! If I were you, I would charge between $25 - $30 per lane (if I secured all 43 locations) or a minimum of $95 per bank (if I did not secure all of the locations). If you think about it you should be making $45 - $100 per hour and hope that you are averaging around $65 per hour if you want to stay in business. If you make $45 per bank then for all 43 locations you will be getting $1935 total. Now I could do half the locations, charge them $95 and make $1995. Now I'm not telling you that there isn't a pressure washing company that will do these jobs for $10 or even $5 a lane. But they won't be in business long and are doing sub-standard work. You need to explain to the bank, as well, why you need to charge more. Be proud of yourself and your business and show that you value the quality of work you do.
smile.gif

Russ in Chicago

This is the dilemma with regular commercial accounts. For a larger company with a crew and equipment to keep busy, this would be more inviting. There's a company in Chicago area that does all 40+ corporate Mobil carwash interiors. I put together a bid to get a shot at it and the numbers just didn't work out for me to take it on as a smaller operation. But for the company that has the account - I see their truck and 3 employees loaded in the front driving around and that company probably makes a decent amount on the deal, but only because they have that crew to keep busy. It's all about volume on situations like these.

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Biggest change from what I have heard is less frequent cleaning.

The banks are tight fisted when it comes to spending money it seems.

PSICharlotte

How did you all get accounts with Banks? Did you visit different banks until someone gave you a chance to quote? I keep getting the same response that they all use facility managers and trying to get in touch with them has been nearly impossible. Would like some advice

Our Sponsors