Techniques for spindles and rails

Shawn George

This is the one part of Deck jobs that I'm just not comfortable with yet. Can't seem to get a handle on it. (we have never had a complaint about the finished product)

Cleaning isn't the problem, it is sealing that gets me.

Always seems like there has to be an easier way to seal than with a brush on each individual spindle.

Tried to spray on, but am using "Raincoat" too, and always requires brushing for runs and an even coating. Spraying also seemed to waste a lot of sealer.

Please help, I feel like I'm spending way to much time on the railings.

Thanks,
Shawn @ Pressure-Tek

------------------

JR Wood

If you must use Raincoat,spray it on!! I use throw away
drop cloths and 1 inch clamps to hold them up.The reason I say spray, is because your time is worth much more than the extra sealer you will waste.

I use an airless(for Raincoat),which requires less back brushing.If you can't afford an airless sprayer right now get a backpack sprayer it produces a lot more pressure than an ordinary pump,and can reduce backbrushing.

Also you don't have to use a paint brush to backbrush either,you can use a broom with fine,soft bristles.Which will help you cover more area a lot faster.

When I "have to" do spindles by hand I use a finihing pad that I buy at home depot it comes 2 to a pack and cost $3.75 ea.They are foam and are shaped like twinkies.

Also I don't know if Olympic Natural look is available in you area but if you can find it you can cut your sealing time in half.There is no backbrushing required and you can spray the spindles right on to the deck and it will blend right in.It looks great and lasts long enough to satisfy your customers.

You should check out different sealers as much as you can until you find one that you like to work with.

------------------
J.R WOOD POWER WASHING*1-800-782-9919
ABACUS DECK CARE*1-866-7-ABACUS
J&B SNOW PLOW*1-973-328-6650
SHOWCASE LAWNS OF NEW JERSEY*1-866-SHOCASE

DID SOMEONE SAY DIVERSIFY?

[This message has been edited by JR Wood (edited February 09, 2001).]

Ken @ Pro-Coat

Hi Shawn,

I have used lambs wool paint & stain mitts. You put them on like a glove. Can get messy ,so I put a latex type glove on first. Then, just dunk your mitted hand in the stain and wipe it around the spindles. Down side is you have to throw the mitt away after use, but the lambs wool covers the spindles & rails well.Can also be used in conjunction with an airless sprayer to apply stain then wipe excess in with mitted hand.

Good luck!
Ken S.

------------------
"The best job at a fair price"

[This message has been edited by Ken @ Pro-Coat (edited February 16, 2001).]

Mike Hughes

I have used the stain mits......but on the wrong deck, you can get some serious splinters!!

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

rvagnoni

Yeah...done that myself Mike...Ouch!!!

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus
If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem wonderful at all. -- Michelangelo

Our Sponsors