deck quote

Barry Loy

I am wondering if I am in the right ballpark on this deck quote?
527.25 sq/ft
116 spindles
10 4'x4'x6'9"
11 steps
The deck is about 7 ft. off the ground, cleaned and restained.
I quoted this at $783. What would be your estimate ? Thanks folks !
Barry Loy

------------------
Barry & Debbie Loy
Bar-De Pressure Washing
Graham, NC

Stateline P/W

Barry, My price would be around $550. Just wash and seal with same sealer, not strip, add about $230 for stripping. Just my .02

Stateline Pressure Washing

------------------

Greg Rentschler

$835 Barry. Clean and reseal using Ready Seal or Wolmans. Strip work would be another $300. I would say your right in the ballpark... alot depends on the cleaners and sealers you use and their cost.

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
www.gcrpowerclean.com
NEW E-Mail address: GCR PowerClean@cs.com

Wild Man

Originally posted by Barry Loy:
527.25 sq/ft
116 spindles
10 4'x4'x6'9"
11 steps
Barry Loy

Barry,
$800.00 to clean and seal. $800-$1000 clean, seal, & strip. Your good on your price Barry Hope you get the job!!! Good Luck........Wild Man.......

------------------

JR Wood

Greg's got it right,if you add everything together it comes out to $1 a sq ft.

------------------
J.R WOOD POWER WASHING*1-800-782-9919
ABACUS DECK CARE*1-866-7-ABACUS
J&B SNOW PLOW*1-973-328-6650
SHOWCASE LAWNS OF NEW JERSEY*1-866-SHOCASE

DID SOMEONE SAY DIVERSIFY?

AranServices

Personally Speaking - You around the same area that we would be in!
Here is a tip as to an easier way we bid the spindles:
1 running foot of hand rail = about 3 foot of lumber. Thing to remember - if you are using a sprayer - even if you ONLY have 2 foot of surface you will still be sraying the open air spaces between the spindles. Spraying sealer into the open air is a loss of material.

Typically, we charge about $1.10 to $1.50 per square foot ( we try to keep it around $1.20 per sq. ft.) to strip & seal. Unless it is coated with an acrylic or paint. There is a lot more cost in stripping these things.

A lot of it also depends on how many others are bidding on this & how saturated the wood restoration market is in your area.

Godd Luck!
Randy
Originally posted by Barry Loy:
527.25 sq/ft
116 spindles
10 4'x4'x6'9"
11 steps
Barry Loy

------------------
Cleaning America - One Job At A Time!

Barry Loy

Thanks folks ! I really appreciate these recent posts. This job has still not been taken and I am in contact with the customer. Thanks for your recent attention to this post.
Barry Loy

------------------
Barry & Debbie Loy
Bar-De Pressure Washing
Graham, NC

reedsterstl

Something I have wondered about, when most of you are bidding your decks, are you bidding the sqaure footage at a certain price and then adding to the price the cost for chemical? I recently bid a deck that was approx 1004sf and spindles and rails of 72Lf, 14 steps and 12 posts. All cedar, a "thirsty" deck, needs stripping and conditioned and resealed. I bid this at $2397.50 and the customer thought I was nuts. I thought I was giving him a great price. the breakdown is as follows. Strip w/chemical 450 condition w/chemical $1491.25, and seal w/chemical $456.25. The conditioning also included the underneath of the deck. Am I not giving him a good deal?

------------------

JR Wood

What's "conditioning"?
Also once you get over a certain SQ Ft. you should either step down in price or do it time and materials.
After about 800 sq ft.the time goes down drastically.Based on what you described the deck was about 1350 to 1450 sq ft...that's about 5 hours to strip,neutralize...and about3 or 4 hours to seal,that's 9 hours.If you subtract the materials.Let's say 10 gallons of sealer at $18($180) 4 gallons stripper @$15($60)2 gallons acid neutralizer@$10 ea($20).And $40 misc=$300
$2397-300 =2097 divide by 9 =$233 per hour.

I would think you are nuts too!

------------------
<FONT size="1"><FONT COLOR="Black">J.R WOOD POWER WASHING*1-800-782-9919
SHOWCASE LAWNS OF NEW JERSEY*1-866-SHOCASE</FONT s>
</FONT c>

<FONT size="2"><FONT COLOR="red">
DID SOMEONE SAY DIVERSIFY?</FONT s>
</FONT c>

[This message has been edited by JR Wood (edited February 22, 2001).]

reedsterstl

JR,
What I mean by conditioning is: After the deck is stripped I neutralize it (condition it for eccepting the sealer, you know wash/clean) The deck needed stripping on the under side too. It's 12 feet into the air! At about 1004 sf x $1.25 plus $50.00 for chemical and $206.25 for rails and spindles, I didn't think this was too much. Not to mention it's a 110 mile round trip. Is this really out in right field?

------------------

JR Wood

Question First:Did you include the underside of the deck in the 1004 Sq ft that you posted as the size of the deck?

NOW
When I strip a deck.I usually end up going over it twice depending what I am stripping.The way you described a thirsty deck I assumed that the sealer was old and failing.And that is how you knew that it was really thirsty.after I am done strippng,The deck is pretty much cleaned already,all I do next is to spray on neutralizer and wait about 15 - 20 minutes and go over really fast,rinsing thoroughly.If the deck needed the underside stripped then you were in the ball park!Maybe even low I guess I didn't understand that part.You added 1004 sq ft( ITHINK?).So on a graduated scale the price is probably right.The price depends on a variety of factors and it is hard to give a definitive price. Based on the earlier post I made I would of probably charged about $1800.That is based on what I thought you said.If you see my addition did not include an additional 1004 or more of the underside of the deck.That is of course if the 1004 sq ft didn't include that already!You see it is hard to give prices or oppinions based on the descriptions of certain jobs.

------------------
<FONT size="1"><FONT COLOR="Black">J.R WOOD POWER WASHING*1-800-782-9919
SHOWCASE LAWNS OF NEW JERSEY*1-866-SHOCASE</FONT s>
</FONT c>

<FONT size="2"><FONT COLOR="red">
DID SOMEONE SAY DIVERSIFY?</FONT s>
</FONT c>

reedsterstl

Jr, Yes the 1004 did indeed include the under side. The old stain was really bad in some place and not in others and I did include that in my assesment. Plus the fact that this deck "is" 10ft off the ground and very unique in it's shape. I thank you for your input and you have helped me make some very sound decisions in regards to estimating labor/materials and general costs to include.

------------------

Our Sponsors