Ouch!!

Mike Hughes

Just a quick warning/reminder to those who clean decks using sodium hydroxide.....especially newbies. When sod. hydroxide is applied to a deck, it makes the surface very slippery, and you should use extreme caution while walking on it.

I have known this fact for three years now, but today, as I was washing a stair rail on a cedar deck, I slipped and fell down a flight of stairs (well, at least 8 stairs)
blackeye.gif
. I am ok, but it didnt feel good for a little while there......

In retrospect, I should have rinsed the steps a little bit first, so I had better traction to walk on. I hope someone out there can benefit from my mistake. Don't let it happen to you!

Mike

rvagnoni

Hey Mike! Don't feel bad. Been their...done that!
wobble.gif

Glad you didn't get hurt bad. Those falls can be nasty.

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus

JR Wood

I've done that a couple of times, the thing is once you start to slip it's almost impossible to stop until you get to the bottom! One time I caught a piece of my arm on something on the way down and slashed my arm which when I stopped on a landing ended up with an open wound laying in a puddle of sodium hydroxide.
NOW THAT'S OUCH!!!

------------------

ALL-BRITE

Hi Mike
I too can say that I have been ther and done that.
But I only had 4 stairs so it was not too bad.
Glad to hear that you are ok... Tim

------------------
Tim Highfield
ALL-BRITE POWERWASHING

Don F

Ohhh -- does this thread bring back the Painful memories too! About 4 years back, I went out to check on a crew doing a Huge Deck, Stairs down a bank, etc. Stepped on the first step and Bounced the whole way to the bottom... atleast 30 steps. Stripper was on the steps !!!! I sat in my Van, in my underwear (because my pants, shirt & everything had stripper on it) and waited for the 4 guys to get back from lunch. They got and earful + ! No, they didn't use the RED cones in the Van. No, They didn't use the Yellow Tape. Yes, they did laugh their butts off. PS. Thank goodness it was me and not the Homeowner ! And yes, we Use the Cones/Tape on EVERY Job Now. Don Farner

------------------
Quality Workmanship, Honesty & Integrity will keep your Schedule Book & your Tummy full !

Mike Hughes

The part about not using the cones wouldn't bother me.........but it would bother me that they left sodium hydroxide on a deck and went off to lunch......

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Our Sponsors