Test Decks

Sampsons P/W

I just built a "test deck" to try different techniques on, it is a 12x12 pressure treated deck that is about a foot off the ground and movable if the need arises. I will be trying different cleaners, sealers, stains, and etc. I will be building a cedar deck shortly, I thought this would be a good idea to do before working on a costumers deck to gain experience, please let me know if this is a good idea because I will be adding a concrete patio if so

Ben Sampson
Sampson's Power Washing

Mike Hughes

I would not recommend building them unless you want them anyway. Don't build anymore just for the sake of a test...........too expensive!

What you have now is a good start. No need to test on concrete........it is not as difficult to clean as decks...........so, don't go thru the expense of a concrete patio unless you really want to have one anyway.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Sampsons P/W

Mike,

The materials cost about 130.00 the biggest cost was the deck blocks that I used which cost 84.00 the 5/4x6x16 used was "culled" lumber which is lumber that is deemed "no good" I paid 1.00 per board for my 2x6x16 and 5/4x6x16 not a bad deal but I work for a home improvement store part-time and got free delivery to boot, but you can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and just ask for damaged or culled lumber. The test patio I want to put in will be a 12x12 also the concrete that I will be using cost me $.50 a bag for busted bags of concrete which are full bags or near full but opened. For me cost is not a factor, the deck and patio will be used by my family everyday to see the effects of normal wear and tear will do to the sealers and stains that I want to use so I can use one brand and one brand only. Mike let me know what deck stains, sealers, and cleaners work best for you any feedback will be greatly accepted.

Ben Sampson
Sampson's Power Washing

------------------

Mike Hughes

My choice of sealer is Ready Seal. I have talked about this in detail in the past, just read down the board some, or do a search.

Here's one of the posts http://www.powerwash.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000225.html

Make sure you clean that wood prior to sealing it. Even though it is new, it still needs to be cleaned, due to mill glaze.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

rvagnoni

Ben,

Seems a little over kill maybe. I thought of this idea a while back but never used it myself. I thought for training new employees to wash decks I would pick up some wood skid pallets and have them wash them. Better than having them screw up a customers deck.

As far as for testing sealer you could build something similar to the pallets using p.t. or cedar wood...or...I just make up test boards of each.

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus
Find a purpose in life so big it will challenge every capacity to be at your best.
--David O. McKay

Sampsons P/W

Mike and Rick,

Gentlemen thanks for the feedback, the decks and patio I have mentioned have a dual purpose, one is to enjoy with my family, second is to practice on, I figured that if I used the real thing to practice on I would use better care and pay attention to detail more on my own deck just as I would do on a costumers deck. My wife is a real hard critic of my work so if I can please her my costumers would be pleased also. My biggest concern is pleasing the costumer.

Ben Sampson
Sampson's Power Washing

------------------

tzahlman

Ben

Cool idea, never thought of doing anything like that. If the expense doesn't hurt ya to bad great. Couldnt you also use them for your before and after pitchures in a scrap book? Myself I have a few brave friends that will let me get some practice with their decks as well as Before and afters. Best of luck.

Tom
beer.gif

------------------

Our Sponsors