First wood job,need help !

johny

Hello guys !

I decided to get into cleaning and sealing decks last fall,so all winter i have been learning and reading all the 'Just Wood' posts and most of them twice.So finally the day has come,my first serious wood job.I feel prepeared and pretty good about it,but still have lots of questions to ask.So please help me out.
The deck is just 210 sq.ft but off the groung with 16 feet long steps.It also has rails.They told me they sealed it themselves 1,5 years ago with Thomsons sealer.It was grey looking all but the rails.I told them i will have to strip it.Am i correct.???
I wish i didnt have to,that would make it alot easier.How would it look if i just washed it and sealed it.Reason for it,they just want to make it look better before they sell the house,so i dint try to sell them ReadY seal,they dont care how long its gonna last.They just want me to use the same cheap sealer.
Would the BEHR QUIK-FIX strip it?
They also have a fence ,thats has been sealed with the same stuff,had some mold ,ok shape,do i have to strip the fence finish too?
Please help me out guys,i will probably have more questions later.
Thanks ,Johny

------------------

JR Wood

Depending on which Thompsons is on the deck,There is a thompsons sealer that can be a bear to get off and there is the regular Thompsons that will come off with a garden hose.Believe me if there is sealer on the rails then there is sealer on the decking,you just can't see it until you run a washer over it.The Behr will take it off but it has to be pretty much undiluted.And it is too thick to spray through a pump up.I would suggest you try to find some Wolman deck strip.You can take off any Thompsons with a 3:1 dilution and it sprays easily through a pump up.Stripping a deck is not all that different than cleaning, you just have to be more careful where you spray,and avoid inhaling!Just be careful when spraying stripper on stairs it is EXTEMELY SLIPPERY!I have taken many a tumble and have landed in a puddle of stripper with an open wound,PAIN!!!
My Motto is when in doubt STRIP IT!

Sorry I didn't fully read your post.If they want you to put Thompsons back on the deck then you could get away with cleaning the deck and resealing.*(I would still strip though!)

------------------
<FONT size="1"><FONT COLOR="Black">J.R WOOD POWER WASHING*1-800-782-9919
ABACUS DECK CARE*1-866-7-ABACUS
J&B SNOW PLOW*1-973-328-6650
SHOWCASE LAWNS OF NEW JERSEY*1-866-SHOCASE</FONT s>
</FONT c>

<FONT size="2"><FONT COLOR="red">
DID SOMEONE SAY DIVERSIFY?</FONT s>
</FONT c>

[This message has been edited by JR Wood (edited March 20, 2001).]

johny

Thanks JR,
You are also the reason i got this job.How?The flyier you posted and said it works,it does.I never had doubt it will.Thats a good one.
Where do i get Wolmans??
Also how can i find out what they have on the deck,heck they dont know,said they got it at wal-mart.It was really hard to tell about shape of the deck ,it was raining.
Thanks &lt;johny

------------------

Mike Hughes

Did you say the deck was elevated? If you can't reach the spindles from the ground, I like to use a very small wand, about 12 inches long, and hang over the edge and wash them from the top. You can wash most of it from there..........its just hard to get the tight spots under the handrail..........those may have to be done from the ground. Sometimes I use a ladder.......sometimes an extension wand.

Like John said, if you strip it, be careful, its slippery!

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Craig Lawrence

I know you said it was raining but put a LITTLE water on the deck, in various places, if the water starts to soak in, then the finish has worn off and you will only have to clean and seal. On the spindles it will be a little harder to do this, you may have to strip it there.

------------------
Craig Lawrence
Leisure Time Decks

Stateline P/W

<FONT COLOR="Navy">
Johny, I would strip it and refuse to use Thompsons back on it. When the deck looks like crap in a month or so it will look bad on you...Use a good sealer on it. Something with some color not clear. Cost about $16 to $18 per gallon and will take about 2 gallons or so depending on how many steps. Like JR said stripping is not much different than just cleaning, just a little stronger product. You can call 1-800-556-7737 for the nearest Wolman dealer. This is just my opinion. I wouldn't use anything that will cfome back to haunt my company in a couple months. Do it right the first time.

Steve

Stateline Pressure Washing
boldred.gif
</FONT c>

JR Wood

Johny,
There is no "regular place" you can get Wolmans,I used to get it at Lowes,but when Lowes requested special pricing Wolman said no way!(direct from paint dept. manager)I get mine from a local lumber yard.This is an important part also,Develop a friendship with a local supplier.I get Wolman raincoat for $63 per 5 gallons.Where it is $79 everywhere else.I get between a 10%-15% discount on everything.You can get a contractor discount at most local independent paint and lumber suppliers.
I am happy to see you having success with the Flier I have distributed 4000 of them and I have fielded at least 35 calls off of them and I will still be getting calls off them for months!
Also they sell that Thompsons at Wal-Mart.They also sell some crap called House beautiful,it is the worst.They also sell Olympic stain and that comes off pretty easy.
You might want to become a Wolman Certified Contractor,They send you a contractor Kit and a phone number you can call and find out where the nearest dealer is.
www.wolman.com/contract.htm
------------------
</FONT c>

</FONT c>[url

[This message has been edited by JR Wood (edited March 21, 2001).]

johny

Thanks alot guys for your help.Especially JR !!!Just got another call,thats 3 out of 30 flyers in one neighborhood.Must have hit the right one.I wish they wood want their driveways washed ,but its another deck,this time never been sealed,(2 years old)so shouldnt be a problem.
Thanks to all,
Johny

------------------

JR Wood

That's great! If you don't already have yard signs, get some made up and if you work in that neighborhood put them up,some people are afraid to use an unfamiliar contractor until somebody else uses them.

------------------
</FONT c>

</FONT c>

Our Sponsors