Here is a better way to use bleach to wash siding.

L

LightningClean

For those of you that like bleach I will tell you something better to mix it with than spic and span and you will get better and longer lasting results. This is an answer that I gave to the newpaper in my area when I was e-mailed a question on cleaning mold and mildew from siding.

A traditional approach to cleaning dirt and mildew from siding involves using a homemade bleach-and-water solution or TSP. Although
the bleach-and-water solution will kill mildew, it wont fully clean the surface-it will just bleach things out. Also you run the risk of discoloring the exsisting paint (if chalky and or faded) and also killing surrounding grass and plants.
With TSP, which is a type of detergent, you will clean the dirt from the siding, but will not kill the mildew. In fact, any residue left on the surface will act as a food source for mildew, aggravating your problem.
A better option would be to use a concentrated cleaner like Jomax, from Wm. Zinsser & Co., which contains MILDEWSIDES, detergent and a special BLEACH activator. When mixed with water and BLEACH (lemon scented will knock down the smell), the activator maginfies the cleaning power of the BLEACH while REDUCING its ALKALINITY to SAFE levels so that the solution wont harm surrounding grass or plants, or dicolor painted surfaces.
This solution works without the need for scubbing or following up with neutralizing the surface (as you would need to with the solution that you suggest).
You can use the cleaner on all types of non porous surfaces, like wood vinyl nd aluminum siding, stained or painted decks and fences, stucco, brick, painted concrete and cement block.
Spic and span contains nothing that aids in activating or helping the break down (its just soap) plus it leaves the need for neutralization.
I DONT sell "JOMAZ" but you can but it at Menards, Home Depot, Lowe's and most other home improvement stores.
When I do something I do my homework, think it out, try it, test it and then talk about it. I ask way too many questions (dumb and not) and once I'm satisfied that what I'm talking about is GOLDEN, I then share with others that way I'm not just giving advise, I'm giving experience. There is no secrets to BLEACH or its uses, just better and faster ways to use it.
As for what I make, it has more to do with car washes, fleet washers and truck wash bays, boat cleaners, and farmers. But if you want to get rid of the black streaks from gutters you can e-me.

I hope this helps and let you know I'm not one sided on bleach or trying to sell you an expensive substitute for bleach and detergent, I just dont agree with washing, neutralizing and rinsing again, it sounds self defeating.

Rob

Our Sponsors