About Bussiness Cards

Robert

HELLO TO ALL,
About to make up some bussiness cards and want some input before starting...First of all I do decks, fences, house washing, cedar houses, drive ways, pools, anwings, roofs, prep house for painting...Well if you have'nt notice I like doing a little of everything...My question is how do you go about designing and putting this information on a card??? There is only so much space on these cards and I DON'T know where to start...All information that you PRO'S can give me will be heplful to me in the furture, as I stated before...{wanting to go full time next year and out of the coal mining bussiness and shift work....Thanks to all that has help me in the pass...
HAVE A NICE WEEKEND...

------------------

Scott Stone

I just have pressure washing and steam cleaning on my card. I then focus my efforts on getting the jobs that I want. I also make sure that my card is distinctive. If everyone else has a white card I want a distinct color. My cards are Maroon. I pay more for them, but, people remember it. Also make sure that you have every possible way to contact you. I have my Business Phone, Fax, cell, Pager and e-mail address. It just makes it easier to get a hold of me and reduces the chance of the potential customer saying that they could not get a hold of me.

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Dave Olson

Hi Robert,

We list our services on the back of the card. The front has our logo, name, phones, etc.

Send me your fax number and I will fax you a copy of one of our cards.

Dave Olson

------------------
Tidy Powerwash Service, Inc. P.O. Box 781, Catlin, Illinois 61817 Phone 217-427-5557, Fax 217-427-2632 We are a commercial cleaning contractor serving East-Central Illinois and West Central Indiana since 1984. http://www.tps-inc.com/preswash.htm

D

David l Saulque

I use both sides of the card so that the card limits clutter. People remember my card, thus my company and my service stand out. I also use my card as ad copy-what they see in the ad is what I pass out-it works.

Send me a E-mail with a address and I will send you my card.

David

------------------

P Austin

BUSINESS CARDS

I don't think it is a great idea to always pot print on both sides of a business cards. I personnaly will keep a card in my wallet longer if one side is blank (for writing notes or numbers on when out and about). After a while, when I clean out my wallet, the cards that I dont use get tossed for sure if writing is on two sides. I then usualy keep the coolest looking cards with writing on one side just in case I need them.

Also, I print my own cards at this time. I happen to be an engineer, and have access to a good drawing program which I do the art and design work on. There are cheap or free programs to design business cards on. I print the cards off onto HP Photo paper (Semi Gloss) using a HP 970 ($200-$300)printer, and then cut them out using a straight edge and a razor blade. This is a great way to see what your card will look like, and make changes to your taste. My business partner and I just picked up another partner, and needed new cards, so I just printed more up with the partners name on them.

Granted, this way is a slow process, and we will eventually get cards produced in a large quantity, but for now, we are not stuck with 3000 cards that we don't realy like.

Just my 2 cents worth---Take it for what it is worth and good luck with whatever your decision.

I would be willing to help design a logo or such for any one. Just e-mail me. DESIGNE2001@YAHOO.COM (PAUL AUSTIN)

:cool:

Power Clean

i too make my own cards. i designed it and my step son created it on the computer.

i went to a paper supplier and bought 60lb glossy paper stock. this weight paper is a little thinner than most cards but it is sufficient and is printer friendly. it comes in huge sheets but they will cut it down to 8 1/2 x 11 sheets which will print 10 cards each. i bought 1000 sheets for $48.00. then after printing, i cut with a razor and use a metal ruler for a straight edge. oh it does take several days for the inks to dry from the ink jet and the use of glossy paper.

i wanted my card to be different and colorful. i can print my card for less than $50 per 1000-1100 cards or so and as i need them.

you can check out my card at my website that is being constructed.

good luck with your decision.

P Austin

wet ink

The reason that the ink takes a while to dry is the paper coating.

I use HP Photo paper (I think I said it was semi gloss, but was wrong--It was "Two sided photo paper glossy/matte) The ink drys in just a few seconds well, less than a min.

The major down side to this is that the cost of the paper is much grater than purchasing the paper in bulk. I can get 12 cards per sheet at a cost of 20 sheets for $18-$19 this comes out to about 240 cards per $25 including the cost of ink. Kind of time consumung and expencive, but a person can change the design as often as they like.

Paul Austin
KNP Wash It

PUREPOWER

I used to make my own, when I was part-time....To make them now would just be impossible, I don't even see my family that much!!!! Then to sit down and cut my own cards?!?!?!?!?!

I would rather pay the $80 for 1000 cards. White background, burgundy and black printing with my signature blue rain drops.
And when I do give out a card, I also hand the potential client a pen that costs $180 for 500. Everybody needs a pen, you can't fit it in your wallet so it does not get thrown out!!

Do what is best for you. But I chose the option of having my printer and graphic artist do the work for me. After a while, word of mouth is THE BEST advertisement you have.

Good luck to y'all.

Jordan[sb]

P Austin

Jordan,

That is a great idea about giving out a pen with each card. I think I will look into that idea. I have seen pens that are about half the length of a normal pen, but when the top is removed and places on the end, it is normal length to write with.

As for the cards, I agree about having a printer produce them, after the business starts to pick up and becomes a little more lucritive (SP).

Thank's againe for the great pen idea.

Paul Austin
KNP Wash It

Beth

Pick up some cards that come in a sheet by Avery. You fold them after they print and they snap into individual cards. Very easy, no cutting.

If you are going after residential clients consider magnets instead of pens. People cover the fridge with them.

Beth

Aplus

Magnets work great! The major office supply stores sell a peel-n-stick magnet that adheres to your business card. Looks really nice, and people do stick em' on their fridges, and get your name reminding them daily.

Beth

I have a got source for magnets. When I get home I'll check my bookmark and post the link.

Magnets are a wonderful way to get repeat business, since people will see your name over and over and over. In some cases it also makes sense to hand them out instead of business cards.

Rod was out doing estimates one day and a compeditors estimate was stuck to a front door with a magnet. Very clever. If you buy them in bulk, they're cheap too!!!!!

We started with the sheets you feed through the ink jet printer. That worked for a while, but it became a pain and I looked long and hard for a supplier.

It's nice to not have to make them. I think my cost was .22 per magnet, for full color.

Beth

rvagnoni

WE HAVE A FOLDING TYPR BUSINESS CARD THAT LISTS THE VARIOUS THINGS WE DO, DECKS, CONCRETE, STORE FRONTS, SEALING, SNOWPLOWING, ETC.
LiKE A MINI BROCHURE.

Beth

They sound great. Do you have a printer do it, or do you use an Avery product for that?

Also....
Has anyone out there used E-Letter or one of the mailing houses?

Beth

ghouchu

Beth, where do you get your magnets? are they directly printed or stick-ons? anyone happen to know if the postal service permits magnets to be attached to the outside of mailboxes?

Beth

That is correct. You are not allowed to put anything INSIDE the mailbox.

However the outside is another story, and you can roll up flyers and stick them outside, or if they are metal mailboxes, slap a magnet on them.

http://www.fridgedoor.com

Beth

rvagnoni

Beth,

Are you positive about the outside of the mailboxes. I was told by a postal worker and others that anywhere inside the box or outside is prohibited...Now whether or not it's inforced...is differant story.

ghouchu

i mustered the energy to look up the answer to my own question. postal regs make the inside and outside of the mailbox itself off limits to mailable materials without postage--you can't stick a magnet on the mailbox. the support for the mailbox is fair game.

richard

Beth

Thank you for looking that up for us. I have only ever rolled up flyers and stuck them to the post, but I know folks who have put magnets on the outside of the mailbox. SOunds harmless to me. We have also been known to put estimates on the inside in an envelope.

Our Sponsors