yellow pages

Stateline P/W

Just thought this was interesting and would share it.

Around the end of march I called and asked about putting an ad in one of the major yellow pages in our area. They assigned a sales person to work with me, when he came out we discussed what size ad and the wording. We came to the conclusion that the best size would be the next size above a bus. card. This would be the biggest in the pressure washing section which would put me as the first ad you come to. Price=$275 per month with a contract for 1yr. He left and mailed me a copy of what it would look like, didn't really like it. The more me and my wife talked about it we thought this would be to much money to spend for a year with no guarantees'. So we mailed the copy back and told him we was not interested any more, had to sign some papers and thought that was it. Well the first week in Aug. I got a call from a person that said he seen my ad in the YP's and wanted an estimate. So now I have an ad in the YP's for a year for free. They can't make us pay because he and I both signed the papers for them to stop production on our ad. Well to end up we have gotten 12 calls in the past 3 weeks, all have been pretty good jobs. So I guess it may be worth it for next year. Just thought that was pretty cool. Would have probably done it this year except we are getting prepared to build a house and didn't need the extra expense. I'll quit rattling on, this is already long enough. Just thought I'd share it.

Stateline Pressure Washing

------------------

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hey Lucky You,

I had that happen one time on a smaller ad. How ever I personally would not go with that big ad. We do pretty well in the residential book. But the business to business book this year has been a disappointment. It cost about 2000.00 for two spots 1 inch by 1 inch. We got 3 or for calls all year. One job was for 700.00 and we got it. The other calls were for window cleaning on some very small office buildings and I didn't even bid them.

But you never know. All it takes is one good call and you can develop a very profitable relationship with someone that can bring you lots of money. If you don't gamble or should I say invest in your business. You will not get very far. The key is, try to do it wisely.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

ALL-BRITE

This was our first yr with a y/p ad. I was doing well with just referrals but he lady from the y/p said that as a new company that they would discount my ad 50% the 1st yr and 30% the 2nd yr. It costs me about $25 per month. She asked me what we charged for a house wash I told her $200 and up. She said if I recieved 1 job from the ad It would pay for the whole yrs cost. Which made sense. Well that was July this is Aug and we have probably recieved 10 -12 calls from the ad and have landed about 8 so I am glad that I did go with the ad. It has paid off for us so far. Tim

------------------
Tim Highfield
ALL-BRITE POWERWASHING

Mike Hughes

I have a heavy presence in the yellow pages, however I don't think display ads are worth the money.......not unless you are a Doctor, Lawyer, Plumber, Roofer, etc........categories with tons and tons of competitors listed. It seems like power washers can get away with smaller ads and be equally successful as if you had spent all that money on a large display ad.

I am currently in four yellow page books(the REAL yellow pages, don't bother with any other) under two headings in each book......Building Cleaning Exterior (that's where all the pressure washers are) and Gutters and Downspouts (I also do gutter cleaning).

Next year I am going to be in five books under three headings in each........Building Cleaning, Gutters, and Deck Cleaning/Waterproofing. I have nearly double my yellow page ads for next year but only am paying about 10% more because of the discounts they give you for being in multiple books.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

[This message has been edited by Mike Hughes (edited September 10, 2000).]

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
Right now I think the best option for my company is a one liner in two sections. My response is just the same as if I ran the artwork. One year they left me out and I didn't know until renewal, and I was paying for the ad. I was just to busy to check. I look in my office and I have 100 pounds of phone books and the public is just as confused as the rest of us.

With the amount of restaurants that we service it is hard to get a fix on how well the books work. I would not stop the books, however I would limit to the local phone company book. The money saved could be used in a good direct mail program.

David

------------------

Beth

Don't you love it when nice things like that happen? We just ran our first ad, and are getting calls. We have been using a variety of methods to get leads.

Beth

------------------
Beth Borrego
Http://www.seedirtrun.com

Our Sponsors