PocketPC/Palm (very long)

Craig Knight

hapfac01.gif
Throwing something at ya'll here. I'll make it as short as possible.

Went with Mr. Stones suggestion of getting a palm organizer. But being the rebel i am i got a pocketpc, since it has full web capabilities. The reason i wanted full web browsing capabilities is to accept credit cards at outlying locations using wireless capabilities this here thing offers. Here's my plan, now let me know if there is anything not kosher about the whole ordeal. (Step one) Sign on with a merchant company. (step two) Get the e-business plan that allows online orders to be taken on my existing website, but only use it for remote processing capabilities. Get the ole high priced software to help in all the website preparation. (step three) Do my best to set all this up.
I have been in contact with one of the merchants after several hours of comparisons and have found this info and figures:
Costs is about 800 bucks for the e-biz software which they load onto your server and set-up your company. This software will enable crews to log into secret page of website and process a credit card within seconds, wirelessly. This includes mobile credit card imprinters for receipt purposes.
2.1% credit card fee for processing.
20 cents per transaction fee for something or other.
10 bucks a month for secure browser processing.
A minimum of 25 bucks a month if you dont use any of that.
Upon authorization, receipt will be generated to email and also keep record of all transactions in this software. Monthly report will be snailmailed to office for hard copy by credit card processing folks.
Deposit into company account is guaranteed 48 hrs from approval.
Thats it, sounds complicated as heck to me. But they say we can be taking credit cards in less than a week. So what do yall think?...What am i overlooking? Am I dreaming?
My sudden rush for credit card acceptance is generated from a article i read in the wsj. Here are a few of the numbers crunched that sparked my attention.
1) National average of increase of sales (12 months) after beginning to take master card and visa is 41%.
2) Sales from previous customers that did not have the choice to use a credit card in the past showed a 71.3% increase when given the choice to charge it. So in other words, they will spend almost 3/4 more than than they did before, when using a credit card.
3) Credit card usage is up over 200 percent in year 2000. (check card initiation was the main source of the huge increase, which isn't really a credit card, but works like one)
Anyway, sorry for being so long winded. Let me know what you think.

God Bless,

Craig

Jon

Craig,

This is very easy for you to answer, do you have enough customers offering to pay by credit card? From all I read and hear you would be wasting your money on it.

Ask yourself this question:

In all the years you have been in business how many customers have wanted to pay by credit card? perhaps 3 a year? is it worth paying out $800 plus to get set up then $25.00 a month or more if no one charges anything?

I would take that $800 and invest it in long term stock for retirement. In ten years it will be worth $8,000 if you let it sit and compound and reinvest automatically.

I say NO to taking credit cards, I have been in business a year and half and to date have not been asked if I take them. Cash/check for private jobs and 30 day net on large accounts that I bill.

Jon

------------------
Beep beep, the OPC Roadrunner coming through.

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Craig Knight

Jon,

Thanks for the input. During our peak time (March thru July), we have 1 to 3 calls a week asking whether we accept credit cards. Rest of the year, maybe one a month. I believe the biggest draw will come from yellow pages, where no one in all of HOUSTON Texas accepts credit cards. Are we looking for that slight edge that separates us from the competition? Is that it? Maybe. Maybe not? That's why I am asking. My views are sometimes clouded and other times, i just refuse to go the beaten track. As for investing for the future, got that covered.

Thanks,

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Scott Stone

Hey Craig,
great idea to join the techno age. It sounds like you have thought a lot of things out that I had not considered in that arena. I would be curious to know how it works out, and what computer you bought.
An advantage to being able to take the credit cards is that there are a lot of government jobs of all types that can be paid by credit card that you would not have a chance to get if you are not able to get them. It will also help you in getting prompt payment.
Let me know how it works.

Make sure you set up a contact program so that you can keep track of your customers. You will be amazed at how much it helps you.

Scott

P.S. Mr. Stone is a 74 year old man that I grew up with, he lives in Scottsdale. I am just Scott.
;)

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Jon

Craig,

Now I can see it from a different perspective, if you do get people asking and if you ad to your yellow page add that you accept credit cards then I would change my no to a YES.

That little edge in your case might push you to the top since your competitives would need to scramble to play catch up.

Now Mr. Stone, er Scott I would venture to say you could also do very well in your area since I doubt any of your competitives take credit cards.

The only thing that bothers me is the cost to the middle man, is there no way around that? can you not deal with a clearing house for less? (or is the middle man the clearing house?)

Jon

------------------

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Craig Knight

I just figured anyone with an article published would prefer to be called Mr. if not Dr.!!! Great job by the way. I got a HP Jornada 548. I went after the Compaq 3650, but there is a backorder list that reaches from Texas to BFE!!! So I went with my second choice. It's great. And yes, it has a contact manager and synchronizes with big computer. Can download software to it easily and like I said, is internet browsable using a small version of iexplorer or netscape. Plays mp3 stuff and video and all that jazz I will never do. Linked up with my accounting software to grab all the contacts from it, and linked to email software to grab all the addresses and notes from it also. Can email wirelessly and do a bunch of stuff I never thought of.
Anyway, other than the costs of the software Jon, the processing fee and all that is easily recaptured by charging a 3% upcharge for credit cards, which I understand is standard practice in service businesses. And Jon, in Dr. Stone's case, I don't think peoples, or companies credit limit is enough to pay his invoices. When I grow up, I want to be a FLEET WASHER!!!!

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited

Scott Stone

Sarcasm? <FONT size="4">Sarcasm?</FONT s><FONT size="5">Sarcasm?</FONT s>
I am wounded, destroyed and even crushed. I cannot believe that someone would mock what I do for a living, except of course, for the doctor next door and the lawyer across the street. True story, I have a friend that is a pretty successful doctor. About 5 years ago he asked me how come I wash trucks. My answer, "because, 1. I make as much as you and work less, 2. I live in your neighborhood, 3. I did not have to go through 8 years of college, 4. I enjoy it." I don't know why but he never questioned it again.
As for Fleet washing, remember I wash year round and do not have to go out every week and get the job I am going to do next week.

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Craig Knight

Scott, been slowly building my fleet washing business up myself. Have to admit, it's my best money. You probably do more trucks in a day than i do in a week. So i can just imagine your operation. Congrats on a successful business, and when i said i wanted to grow up to be a fleet washer like you, i wasnt being sarcastic, only dreaming. There are people in this world that one should look up to, and there are people in this world one should just ignore, being only 3 years in the business i have the opportunity for huge growth in my area. Having a job and trying to build the company on the side is becoming a burden, so i am going to take the nestee plunge next year. In the mean time, i am going to stick around here and take advice and use it to keep Flynn's Service Pro busy when they envade my territory next month.
clown.gif

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
Power Wash Unlimited

Scott Stone

I know something about the work and pressure washing on the side. I did it for about 7 years before I decided to go full time. I have different circumstances than most. My wife works at home with our four kids. She doesn't have time to get a job that pays. I had to make special efforts to make sure that the income was there before I went full time. It makes it difficult to build a business when you work full time. You come home from work and have to go wash. You come home from washing and fall into bed. You come home from work again and don't have a wash job so you wither fall into bed or play with the kids, because they need time, too. It is a rough row to hoe.
I am greatful that I have been lucky enough to make a decent living that can provide for my family and let my wife stay home. Lest anybody think other wise, I am not a huge operation. I get as much business as i need and then bid the rest high. That way if I do get the job I want to go do it. If I decide I want the job not many will beat my rates and I will still average at least $90.00 per hour.
I do have to admit though I recently bid a job at $30 an hour. It is a five year contract with a local government that I already have a contract with, there also is not a lot of pressure washing involved, mostly labor and cleaning. The more I look at it though, I think that I will be able to meet my revenue expectations. That is called a really good deal.
You might want to either write a business plan for yourself or look at your business plan. See where you are and where you want to be, and figure out the most effective path to get there.
Those that have a business plan have a much higher chance of success than those that don't. It helps you visualize where you want to go better. That is a good thing.
Now, I am going to visualize the truck that I am going to get to replace the truck I totalled last week.

------------------
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Jon

Hey Scott,

Rumor has it those 7 years of part time you were seen in a yellow truck.

Any truth to that rumor?
tongue.gif

------------------

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Scott Stone

Wrong!!! I don't do the thief thing very well. Either stealing or being stole from. I was driving a big white milk truck for a lot of years, or making others do it for me, and a tanker truck for exactly one year (started May 1 and ended May 1, Would have quit earlier but I promised them a year) Now the truck is BLACK, with a BLACK trailer to match.

------------------
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Our Sponsors