Fleet Wash

Rob Blair

Hey guys,

For all you guys doing fleet washing on the weekends and perhaps hiring high school kids to do it: What do you think their parents would say if they saw a MSDS on Hydrofluoric Acid or a simular chem?
boom.gif
Think about it!! I rarely use Hydro anymore, it is a great chem but the health risks aren't worth it to me.........Rob

Wash Wagon

I don't think it should be used by anyone who isn't educated about it. We (or should I say ,I) only use it when "nothing else works". It is nasty stuff so I don't let anyone handle it but me.

------------------
John May

Scott Stone

I don't allow it on my trucks, and I think that anyone that uses it is a fool. I don't care how much someone is payuing me. There are other things that are not nearly as hazardous and do just as good of a job.

------------------
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Just a guy driving around trying to make a living washing trucks, Wouldn't know a deck if it bit me in the hind quarters,

Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Rob Blair

Bruce

I am assuming that "like what" is in reference to health risks. Let me quote from a MSDS:

Health Hazards, Acute: Extremely irritating and corrosive to the skin and mucouse membranes. Produces severe skin burns which may not be immediately visible or painful. Can immediately cause severe painful burns to eyes. Chronic: Produces severe skin burns which are slow in healing.

Signs and symptoms of exposure: Symptoms may be corneal burns, pain behind the breastbone, cough, spitting blood, difficult breathing, shock, muscle spasms, convulsions. and death may result.

I have been burnt by Hydro and can't seem to walk by a jug without getting a sore throat. No matter how much protective gear one uses I believe you are going to get some on you. I have seen fellow contractors use teen age help applying Hydro to fleet vans using no gloves, eye protection, or breathing apparates just rain gear. You want to talk about foolish!!! Scott is right, there are other things to use. Again, No matter how much protective gear one uses I believe you are going to get some on you. Even if you do everything by the book and one of these kids gets hurt we as employers are still resposible.

I am finding most fleet owners here are starting to become more aware of chems used on their trucks and don't want acids used. We aquired a nice sized fleet contract recently and the clincher was showing the owner a MSDS on Hydro. He about went through the roof and convincing him to pay us more $ to have us brush his chip vans was in the bag. If the contract requires us to use acid we don't want it. We brush!!

Not to mention ******mental concerns about dumping the stuff on the ground. Well this has gotten long enough.........Rob

Scott Stone

Okay here is a real article on HF. www.carwash.com/getarticle.asp?article=230101 It will tell you a lot about how dangerous it is and such. This was written for the regular carwash operators, but we are much more exposed to the hazards.
As for options. There are phosphoric based acids that are not nearly as hazardous, as well as strong caustics. To replace the HF though you will want to stay with Phos.

------------------
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Just a guy driving around trying to make a living washing trucks, Wouldn't know a deck if it bit me in the hind quarters,

Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Bruce

When i said "Like what" i was referring to what other chemical will do the job that hydro. does. I'v tried and i do use phos. acid and it does work good on most things but,not nearly as good as hydro. does. I'm not saying hydro. is not bad because it is, but i have been using and mixing it for over 10 years now without 1 inccodent, (knock on wood). As long as you know what you are dealing with and use extream caution you can deal with it.As far as caustic did you know that this stuff causes cancer! Well said my 2 cents worth.
Bruce

Rob Blair

I use phos.acid some and your right it is good but somewhat different than Hydro. Just last weekend had a chip van that we couldn't quite get clean with a brush, had to use some phos. on it came right off. Don't know what this one truck out of ten got into, but was nasty! All our fleet customers want a perfect job which in my opinion means hand washing!! Am always looking for a better way though......Rob

Our Sponsors