M-1 and Sodium Hydroxide

spraymasters

Need some help folks. Anyone use M-1 or sodium hydroxide? Plan on using it on a roof with a pitch to where I cannot get the wand too close to the asphalt shingles. I will need to sit at the top and spray with the wand down at the shingles and rinse the same way. If I do it this way will the chem work?
If I add some bleach to the M-1 will it give it some more punch to work? The directions say i need to put the wand 12 inches to rinse and get the black streaks off. I can't get that close. How about a 0 degree tip? Don't want to hurt the shingles doing that though....need some advice folks. Thanks!
Gloria will NOT be holding my hose up there either!!!
smile.gif

Dennis

------------------
Dennis A. Cormier and Gloria A. Wagner
North Georgia Spray Masters, Inc.
spraymasters@hotmail.com

Shane Clardy

Dennis I have used M-1 ,followed the instructions on the jug. It did good but I was on a walkable white shingle roof . After I finished a couple of days later I went back and I could still see a tinge of a black shadow where the darkest streaks where. I wet the roof put Clorox 4% in a pump up sprayer sprayed on and let it dry , didn't rinse. It look great after it dried.

I said that to say this . on another board this was a big topic for awhile A guy name Chris Tucker from Florida said that was all he did was clean roofs . His exact words he used are as followed
70 % bleach (12%) and water simply spray on and go play....

Don't rinse because you will kill the plants

Start at the bottom and work your way up ....
he said you will be tempted to wash but don't
spray on and go play ....

I have never tried this but maybe someone else has and can tell us about it ?

L

LightningClean

Shane,
What you posted I know you said was posted by Chris Tucker but let me ask a locical question.

Q: If you are NOT supposed to RINSE because it will kill the plants, then what happens when it rains?
A: The RAIN will RINSE it and KILL the plants!

Now I realize that the check would be in hand
but is that really a way to do business? I always belived that if you do the best job, to the best of your ability then you cant duck your head while your leaving.

Rob

Shane Clardy

Dennis this is for your other question

, Bleach is produced by combing Chlorine and sodium hydroxide, in the process the two convert into a new product called sodium hypochlorite. The active ingredient in household bleach is 5.25% solution of sodium hypochlorite and water.

so adding bleach should give it more kick.

Dennis I copied that from clorox's home page under public health

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Shane Clardy on March 14, 2000 ]</font>

Shane Clardy

Rob

I'm sorry this guy Chris said new people should wet the shrubs ground etc. when they got to the job.

then spray .... he later said he was so good with his spray that he didn't get any on the plants . he just sprayed let it kill the mildew etc and evaporate.

He said it was a positive when it rained because the rain water would dilute the hole process so he didn't worry at all then ???

spraymasters

Thanks Shane for all your help. I think I will try to add some bleach to the mix. What do you think of this receipe for a 5 gallon bucket?
1 gallon bleach
1 gallon M-1
3 gallons water
then do a draw of about 25%
The shingles we are doing are dark. Wonder if the bleach will lighten them?
Thanks again!
Dennis

------------------
spraymasters@hotmail.com

Jim Bilyeu

I'm wondering if any of you have ever tryed the method of cleaning shake roofs as recomended by the National Cedar Shake Foundation. Out here in the Pacific NW, 60% of the homes have cedar shakes for roofs. We have cleaned more roofs than I care to mention and we follow their recomendatios to the T. POWER WASH at 3000+ psi @ 5 to 8 gpms. If you want the shakes to look new after washing, apply oxalic acid and rinse. As you all know, you can do sereous damage to a roof at 3000+ psi. If you don't know what your doing, stay off the roof. If you get in the habit of puting cleaners on a cedar shake roof, your going to get someone hurt or even killed. I also recomend that if your going to do cedar shake roofs, you get a good pair of corkies. After reading some of your comments, I know that most of you will think I'm crazy. The Pacific NW is cedar country. We have to know how to care for it. It's the STATE LAW here. Good luck to you all and may nobody be injured because of the lack of knowledge.

Jim Bilyeu
Exterior Woodcare

Dennis and Gloria, U V rays will neutralize Sodium Hypochlorite in 6/8/ hours. There is also a product called Sodium Bisulfite that will kill Sodium Hypochlorite on contact. Hydroxide based products work well, but you have to use 600/1,000 psi to get it off which means you would have to walk the roof.
Ron Strickland
Xterior Sales and Service
X-Jet Technologies

spraymasters

Hey Ron!
I think I have decided to give the roof a try and just work from the crests of the roof. I will spray the chems on with the X-Jet nozzle or the dual wand. I will rinse using the extension wand. All from the top working my way back to the ladder and getting the rest from there. I think I can do a pretty good rinse with that procedure. The M-1 is pretty expensive though, will have to charge accordingly. Hey Ron, what do you think of mixing the bleach with the
M-1? Do any good...harm? Thanks Ron,
Dennis

------------------
spraymasters@hotmail.com

Our Sponsors