Water in the pump oil...

• Thread starter Greg - GCR PowerClean
  • Start date
G

Greg - GCR PowerClean

... well, the dreaded water in the pump oil syndrome. AR pump XMV3G30D direct drive unit (cold water washer). Not sure which seal or gasket blew out but I have to rebuild. A new pump is $300. Any suggestions???

Thanks mighty one.

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
www.gcrpowerclean.com
NEW E-Mail address: GCR PowerClean@cs.com

H

hotwaterwisard

The first thing to look for is a crack in one of the ceramic plungers. Pull the head off and check it with a magnifying glass. Even a small hairline crack will cause water to go thru the oil seals. Is there water running out of the bottom of the head? If so replace the packings. BE VERRY CAREFUL NOT TO SCRATCH THE PISTON GUIDES IF YOU REPLACE THE OIL SEALS. If you do you will have to replace them. They are not cheap. If you can get a new pump for $300 that is a great price. We sell the same Pump for $650. The parts can add up fast so check out the cost of them before you try to repair the old one. You need to get a price on packings, an oil seal kit and plunger if needed. Also make sure it is actually water. sometimes if you use the wrong oil it gets air in it and it just looks like water in the oil. Always use 30wt NONDETERGENT oil.Also never spray water on the top of the pump it will draw water into the oil from the vent cap on top of the pump. You might try changing the oil first just to see if it is water. That will cost you 30min of your time and about 89cents for the nondetergent 30 weight oil.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com John DeRosa

HI-Pressure

Hey John,
Do you get alot of folks rebuilding pumps that forget to check th o-ring and back-up ring under the piston. Seems to me we get one at least once a week. They rebuild the pump and not check the piston seal and the leak again and fill it full of water.

Hi-Pressure Solutions
Daren Marshall

G

Greg - GCR PowerClean

Thanks john, I think the water seals are leaking on the pump. The water seal kit alone is $45... then the oil seal kit (while it's apart)... and the support rings (while its apart).... Then I found a replacement pump for $238.00. So now it's spare parts.

smile.gif
$650 ??? talk about markup!

------------------
Greg Rentschler
GCR PowerClean
www.gcrpowerclean.com
NEW E-Mail address: GCR PowerClean@cs.com

H

hotwaterwisard

Originally posted by HI-Pressure:
Hey John,
Do you get alot of folks rebuilding pumps that forget to check th o-ring and back-up ring under the piston. Seems to me we get one at least once a week. They rebuild the pump and not check the piston seal and the leak again and fill it full of water.

Hi-Pressure Solutions
Daren Marshall

Excellent point. I guess I forgot to mention that in the repair. thanks for your input. Yes I do get alot of them but most of the time the orings servive.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com John DeRosa

Our Sponsors