Won't start hot!!!!

R

Rick

Wizard, We have a Tuff unit 18 hp Briggs& strating engin 4000 psi Admiral pump.The problem is when use it if we opperate it for 2 hrs and have it run out of gas or have to shut it down for any reason,This machine will not start untill the motor cools down! I've tried everthing, New plugs,Carb adjustment! Our macanic has looked at it!! No help and this one has all of us baffaled??? It's a great machine,If you keep it full of gas it'l keep on kicking butt! And there is'nt a problem starting it the first time day after day!(As long as it's cold)....Any info will be greatly apreicated! Thanx in advance....Rick.....R&R.......

H

hotwaterwisard

Check your fuel tank it may have something in it that is floating around and when the fuel gets too low and it can be pulled down and block the fuel flow. Sounds like a fuel filter sucking air when it is hot. Or a vapor lock of some sort. Check the routing of the hoses make sure they aren't near a heat source and replace them if worn at all. Make sure the clamps are tight . Sometimes when they are hot they can suck air in from around the clamp. If a clamp it too tight it will tear the hose and make a hole that you can't see. If it is a vapor lock it will stop running when it gets to a certain temp. The trick to this is to rerout the hose or wrap it with aluminum foil in the high heat area. Hope this helps.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com John DeRosa YOU HAVE QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS!

HI-Pressure

One more thing to look at is the fuel pump. Briggs at one time has had a ton of problems with certain fuel pumps. They have been upgraded on the newest engines and seems to have resolved the problem. I am guessing you have the 11 gallon tank on your tuff? Replace the fuel pump usually resolves this problem and is usually a 5-10 minute fix.
Briggs # 808656

Hope I could help.

Daren
Hi-Pressure Solutions

R

Rick

Originally posted by hotwaterwisard:
Check your fuel tank it may have something in it that is floating around and when the fuel gets too low and it can be pulled down and block the fuel flow. Sounds like a fuel filter sucking air when it is hot. Or a vapor lock of some sort. Check the routing of the hoses make sure they aren't near a heat source and replace them if worn at all. Make sure the clamps are tight . Sometimes when they are hot they can suck air in from around the clamp. If a clamp it too tight it will tear the hose and make a hole that you can't see. If it is a vapor lock it will stop running when it gets to a certain temp. The trick to this is to rerout the hose or wrap it with aluminum foil in the high heat area. Hope this helps.

Thanx Wizard fuel filter was sucking air,did what you said problem solved! Rerouted the hose runing fine. Thanx again!!!! Rick...R&R.........Gota go lots to wash......

Our Sponsors