queastion about pressure,please help !

johny

Hello !
This is the deal,today i had first chance to start my new pw,it is 300 psi,5 gpm,and right away i have a question.
In the manual i noticed it said 'do not operate if pressure is low or dropping'.I didnt get a water tank and using the float tank.I know if there is not enough pressure it will starve the pump,so how do you guys who have no tank, test the pressure.I did it this way ,timed 12 seconds and expected to get a gallon,it was almoust full,so i decided to go ahead and test my new machine,so i let the water run and started it.It was fine for about a minute and then it seemed to be dropping big time,like for a second about to stop,so right away i turned it off.Later i noticed the float tank was empty.I let the water run till it filled up and started it again,same thing,it runs fine till water level is real low in the float tank.I turned it off again,so on i continued to test it about for an hour,turning it off every time, am i dumd or something?I know i dont have any expierence,thats why i am practising on my own house,and i hope i didnt tear something up already,like didnt hurt the pump.So whats the deal.just simply not enough pressure.Then what do you do when estimate a job,check the pressure first,and if low say ,sorry cant do it???So should i not even try it no more at my house,really dont whant to mess it up?
Another question,whow do you spray carpot with soap at high pressure,its running everywhere?
Please somebody help,what shold i do or doing wrong,willi really have buy a water tank??
Thanks guys
If it wasnt for this board i would have never got this far.

M

Mike@Everclear

I'm not sure what to tell you about the water, some places might not have adequate water pressure to keep up......you could bring a tank with you, but bringing your own water opens a can of worms......water weights a little over 8 pounds per gallon.

I carry a 325 gallon water tank on my trailer, but I almost never haul it full.......full it holds 2700 pounds worth of water....more abuse then my tow vehicle can handle. I keep about 100 gallons in there, and I always try to leave a job with what I came with.

It's a luxury to have the water tank there. While you would benefit from having one, you should be able to work without one. Keep asking around, there are lots of people who don't have tanks.....find out what they do.

In reference to your question about carpeting, do you mean that indoor/outdoor carpet that people put on their porches and such? Whenever I get soap on that stuff, it seems like you could rinse it for an hour and not get it off, so I just dont bother and let it dry. I have never had a complaint. I don't purposely spray soap on it though, try to avoid that.

Hope that helps somewhat....

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

[This message has been edited by Mike@Everclear (edited July 26, 2000).]

A

AlwaysUnderPressureInc

Hello. I also have a machine that is 3000 at 5gpm, and I have been able to run it right off most homes. I also have a machine that is 2500psi @ 8.5 gpm. The big one I have a 50 gallon drum that I have my water supply hooked to and then into the machine. You have to keep the water running and if the supply pressure is low run a hose from another faucet if possible. Also, buy a water pressure gauge for your output on your machine, its well worth it as you will know right away when something is wrong. Good luck!!

H

hotwaterwisard

Sounds like the water screen is plugged going into the float tank. Also check the float valve for something stuck in it. If all else fails try just sticking the hose in the float tank and run it like that for a short time to see if it runs out of water. That will tell you if the water flow from the faucet is keeping up with the machine.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com John DeRosa If you have a Machine Problem, I'm here to help.

[This message has been edited by hotwaterwisard (edited July 28, 2000).]

Our Sponsors