Pump recommendation(cold water)

bkwelker

I have an 11 HP Honda engine still in the box and am looking for a good pump match to make a multi-purpose machine that I can put some hours on. I'm not looking to spend a fortune, but need something reliable. What are the preferences of the group? I'm thinking 3500psi@4gpm. Any brand favorites? Any better ideas? Any and all suggestions appreciated!

------------------
Brian Welker
GREAT PANES Window Cleaning/Under Pressure Cleaning, Inc.
Statesboro, GA

Wash Wagon

You have definately started out good with the engine. Hondas are the top of the line in my opinion. A General or Interpump(basicly the same)brand pump should work fine and give you lots of use. One of my washers is a 3000psi 4gpm hooked to an 11 HP honda. Look to pay around $300 or more for the pump. With this engine you can probably power a 3500psi also but any bigger will be pushing the limits. Good Luck!!

------------------
John May

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
We have always used Cat pumps, and never had a problem. The most important thing to remember is maintenance. If you take care of your equipment. It will take care of you.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

Greg Cross

Brian, regargless of what brand pump you decide to purchase please keep in mind the following horse power calculations.

Hopefully this will help you avoid buying a pump that is over rated, overpriced and exceeding your expectations.

Here is the calculation for required horse power (gasoline):

PSI(GPM)/1024

Try this formula for your "expected" output.

3500psi(4gpm)/1024=13.67 HP

You may want to consider the following specs:

3000psi(3.8gpm)/1024=11.13 HP

As these specs will tax the 11 hp Honda, you may consider reducing the desired pressure or flow to provide the motor with some service factor.

Just FYI the horse power conversion for electric motors are as follows:

PSI(GPM)/1460=HP

Hope this helps,

Greg Cross

G

Glenn

Brian,
I have a Honda w/ General pump setup. I've been satisfied with the results so far. Have found only one other Pwasher who has another engine preference. I think most agree that the general is best all around pump. However, Dan is probably on to something with the Cat. I have heard that it is a better pump, but the pump and parts are more expensive than the general. Maybe, if it's a better pump you wouldn't need those expensive parts anyway. I've only used one, General. I quess my preference is biased.
Glenn

Our Sponsors