20hp vanguard

Amerowash

Under a load my 20hp will only run good with the air filter on.yes I put a new one on and rebuilt the carb.I feel its those screws under the black caps your not suppose to touch can these by adjusted?Thanks

------------------

H

Hotwaterwizard

It would not cost too much to take it to anEngine shop for a tune up. Even a Lawnmower Shop could do it for you. The adjustments are critical for optimum performance. Also check the Fuel Filter.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com If You have a problem with your machine, just ask me for help. Check out the Machine Problem Board

Oldtimer

HotWaterWizard is absolutely right!

Carb adjustments are best left to a small engine shop!

Most P/W technicians / mechanics are not great small engine techs, likewise most small engine techs should leave pumps / unloaders etc. to the p/w tech.

------------------
Old Timer aka: EasyClean@aol.com

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
.20 horse vanguard great motor for the money. Hate to tell you all your carb problems were a dirty fuel filter. Try running premium fuel and this motor will not only run better it will last longer, less carbon builds up on the inside. Since this motor came on the market I have worn many out before the carbs gave me problems. But like you I learned that the fuel filters need to be changed regular. Plugs, air filter & fuel filter is really all I ever do. Never have had carb problems with this motor. The old style Briggs I wouldn’t own, constantly carb problems. I ran Honda’s in the 80’s & early 90’s Briggs ever since. Not the best motor, but inexpensive compared to Honda and other manufactures. These style motors put Briggs back on the map.

Good luck,

------------------
Ron Marshal Phoenix AZ
1-888-fleetwash

HI-Pressure

The black limiter cap is for low speed "idle" adjustement. As for the 20hp B&S we rarely rebuild carbs on them. They seem to stay clean and when we do rebuid them it is usually because of bad fuel. Briggs fuel filters are rather small and do plug often. I have a customer with a 20hp briggs with over 4000hrs on it and still uses no oil. Anyone using Robin engines? I have installed several with great success. What is nice is they have a 30amp charging system which can keep up with a 12 volt burner. Havent lost a single transformer or motor on one yet.

Daren Marshall Hi-Pressure

------------------

Our Sponsors