Converting a single gun unit into a two gun unit?

Straight Shot

I currently have a 7@3500 unit equipped with a single gun. I am breaking into the hood industry and need to reduce our gpm's. Adding a second gun to our unit sounds like it may be the answer. Now the question, "How?"

I already know I need a tee or 2-way ball-valve to direct the flow into an alternate line (correct schedule). New chemical injectors & nozzles matched to the lower gpm flow. Then a gun and more hose. Our current unloader should do the job.

What else am I forgetting? It seems to easy.

wobble.gif

------------------
Christopher Vaughn www.StraightShotPressureWashing.com

[This message has been edited by Straight Shot (edited January 02, 2001).]

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Hello Chris,

I would be happy to offer my 2 cents, but first I have a few questions.

-1- What is the primary objective?
( multiple guns or lower volume)

What unloader are you presently using?

What is your desired output volume and pressure?

Do you have a thermostat on your machine?

If your objective is primarily reduced volume, and not necessarily 2 guns, you may save some expense and hassle by simply using a smaller nozzle, and or adjusting the unloader, providing you have the proper unloader and a thermostat and preferably a pressure gauge.

(You can reduce the flow out of your washer by using a smaller nozzle, the unloader will unload at a the set unload pressure excess water will be sent through bypass, it is important that you have a thermostat when running reduced water volume through coils to prevent overheating.)

If you are looking to run 2 guns I can help you there also.

Hope this helps!

Call me if you want to discuss by phone .

------------------
Call or e-mail me if I can be of assistance!

Mark McIntyre: AKA: Pressure Washer Zone Man.
PressureWasherZone.com EasyCleanSystems.com
Mark@easycleansystems.com

916 638-0828

H

Hotwaterwizard

One way you could do that is first make sure you have a thermostat on your machine. If both guns are going constantly without releasing the trigger the temp will stay as it is. But if only one gun is going then your temp will rise because the heat is the same and the volume is half therefore the water will get twice as hot and by-by-hoses, o-rings ect.The thermostat will keep the temp under control. As for your unloader: Some people install a regulator instead of an unloader and that will keep a balance between the two guns. The tips are half the size you use now. Others install two unloaders if it is a double head pump they just plug off the tube that runs between the two heads and use them independently as if they had two seperate pumps. But, that would require two burners or change your fuel nozzle in your existing burner to a smaller size and use it for one side hot and the other side as a cold rinse off gun. As you can see there is alot to it and you may consider trading it in on two smaller units or just get an extra hood unit.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com If You have a problem with your machine, just ask me for help. Check out the Machine Problem Board

Straight Shot

<FONT face="Verdana">
Mark, first thanks for the response.

My primary objective is..well..both? First I would like to have a two gun unit. But, the main reason for interest was to reduce gpm output.

The unloader I am currently using is called a YU-2140 (if that helps?). Other then that not really sure of the brand.

My desired output is between 3.5 & 5 gpm with psi between 2K and 3.5K. Basicly something less then what I am producing now.

As for the thermostat, if it the burner stat we are talking about then, yes, I have one. And, I also have a pressure gauge.

I thought about simply reducing the unloader setting, but on many of the jobs, I will be doing tough flat concrete cleaning along with hoods. So, I was thinking about carring two seperate unloaders, set differently, and simply changing them depending on job. I have the quick discounting unloader (30 seconds).

Also, if I was to use two guns to lower the volume, BOTH guns would have to be working to effectively do this. Which means it may get a little tricky if I'm deep in a hood and my co-pilot releaseses their gun!

Mark - maybe the answer to this would be both! Two unloaders and a dual gun set-up. Dual guns for huge flat area cleanings and the lower set unloader for hoods? What do think - but then there is that nozzle idea....

Simply reducing the size of the nozzles will reduce output volume? If I were to use a lower gpm nozzle, wouldn't the psi's increase trying to force the same amount of gpm's?? Not to clear on that subject as you can tell.

</FONT f>

------------------
Christopher Vaughn
www.StraightShotPressureWashing.com

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
My Pleasure to help out!

Yeah there are lots of variables here! The choice is yours and yours alone!

There is Not one right way, there are some definite wrong ways and an array of methods that would work.

When I mentioned using same unloader and a smaller nozzle I was offering a very economical method of obtaining lower volume, providing you have a thermostat.

Try a 1504 nozzle this should give you an output of approximately 4 GPM @ 3000 PSI. ( I think ** I am going off of my memory banks, and not using a nozzle chart)

If you would like to discuss your options feel free to call me at 1 800 292-3279.

Mark

------------------
Call or e-mail me if I can be of assistance!

Mark McIntyre: AKA: Pressure Washer Zone Man.
PressureWasherZone.com EasyCleanSystems.com
Mark@easycleansystems.com

916 638-0828

H

Hotwaterwizard

I know a company that makes their skid units equiped with an extra outlet to hook up a second gun and wand as a standard option. This is a new feature for 2001. All I am sayin is if they can do it so can we.
thinkerg.gif

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com If You have a problem with your machine, just ask me for help. Check out the Machine Problem Board

Straight Shot

<FONT face="Verdana"> I completely agree - Wiz.
The company I purchased my unit from has had a two gun unit like you described for a while, so a few days ago I called them.

I spoke with one of their top guys and explained it to be very simple (see first post). I am guessing the setup he explained is similar to the setup on THEIR two man units (I didn't confirm that part). Nothing was mentioned about a regulator - but it makes perfect since to have one. Wouldn't it "regulate" the flow better, thus water pressure surges wouldn't be as bad when one gun was released?

Maybe someone could clear this up for me:
Does an unloader controls gpm and psi or mainly psi?
A regulator controls both?

??? </FONT f>

------------------
Christopher Vaughn
www.StraightShotPressureWashing.com

HI-Pressure

As for the unloader and regulator questions: An unloader controls pressure and your tips contol GPM. Tips can also control pressure depending on what unloader you use and also versus tip size to the machines gpm. Regulators mainly control pressure but can be purchased to control flow.
I have built several 2 gun systems for local fleet washers and have had no problems. We use an Interpump model HW unloader. They use bellview washers instead of springs to control the seat pressure. They do not have the harsh kick like most pressure unloaders and when using both guns they act seamless.
I have been told the Giant series 29000 works well also but have not tryed it. From the unloader we use short hoses to a block to take the strain off unloader. When only using one gun the customer just installs plug in other port.
As with any unloader they do wear faster when they bypass: dual gun systems seem to be in bypass more often than single gun systems: diverting more often. It does not seem to effect the HW unloader though. Also because the unit has a tendancy to bypass more often we always go back to tank with bypass. I am not saying the HW unloader is the answer but it has worked great for us.

Hope this helps.

Daren Marshall
HI-Pressure

------------------

Our Sponsors